This soup is perfect for cozy, cold winter nights when you’re craving something hearty and comforting yet healthy.
Bonus? It requires just 1 pot and around 45 minutes to make! Plus simple ingredients likely lying around your pantry right now. Let’s do this!
The base for this simple curry soup is onion, garlic, ginger, carrots, and potatoes. Lentils add plenty of plant-based protein and fiber (20 g fiber + 23 g protein per serving).
Last but not least is a generous serving of kale, which is added in the last few minutes of cooking for even more nutrition and a punch of bright-green color. Swoon.
I hope you all LOVE this soup! It’s:
Plus, it reheats beautifully, making it ideal for cooking up a batch on the weekend and enjoying throughout the week for quick + easy lunches and dinners. It’s delicious as is, but it would also pair extremely well with my Coconut Curried Greens, Samosa Potato Cakes with Green Chutney, and Garlic & Herb Flatbread!
If you try this recipe, let us know! Leave a comment, rate it, and don’t forget to tag a photo #minimalistbaker on Instagram. Cheers, friends!
- 1 Tbsp (15 ml) coconut oil (or sub a neutral oil, such as avocado)
- 1 cup (160 g) diced yellow or white onion
- 1 tsp minced fresh ginger
- 2 whole (120 g) carrots, peeled and chopped
- Pinch sea salt + black pepper, plus more to taste
- 4 cloves garlic, minced (~2 Tbsp or 12 g)
- 3 cups (450 g) diced potatoes (I used 1/2 peeled sweet potato, 1/2 unpeeled baby yellow potato)
- 1 1/2 Tbsp (5 g) curry powder*
- 5-6 cups (1200-1440 ml) vegetable broth (I like Imagine brand)
- 1 cup (192 g) green lentils, thoroughly rinsed and drained
- optional: 1 Tbsp (12 g) coconut sugar, plus more to taste
- 4 cups (240 g) chopped green or purple kale
- Heat a large pot over medium heat. Once hot, add oil, onion, ginger, and carrots. Season with a pinch each sea salt and black pepper and stir. Cook for 3-5 minutes, stirring frequently, until onions are soft and fragrant.
- Add garlic and potatoes and stir. Cook for 3-4 minutes to brown slightly, and then add curry powder. Stir to coat. Cook 2 minutes more.
- Add 5 cups (1200 ml) vegetable broth and increase heat to medium-high. Once at a low boil, add lentils, stir, and reduce heat to low. Simmer for 20-25 minutes, uncovered, or until lentils and potatoes are tender.
- Taste and adjust seasonings, adding coconut sugar for a little sweetness (optional), more curry powder for intense curry flavor, or sea salt and pepper for more balance. I added more of each.
- If the soup has thickened too much, add remaining 1 cup (240 ml) vegetable broth, stir, and cook until warmed through.
- In the last few minutes of cooking, add the kale and cover to steam until tender but still vibrant green - about 2-3 minutes.
- Serve immediately as is or with cilantro and fresh lemon juice (optional). This would also go well with my Easy Vegan Wheat Bread, or Garlic & Herb Flatbread! Store leftovers in the refrigerator up to 5 days or in the freezer up to 1 month.
*Nutrition information is a rough estimate for 1 of 4 servings calculated without coconut sugar and 5 cups vegetable broth (serves 4 as an entrée and 6 as a side).