We make Mediterranean-inspired bowls quite often, and I love adding a hearty vegetable to the mix for even more texture and flavor. And these Moroccan-spiced carrots are just the thing I crave!
In addition to being delicious, these roasted carrots are quick and easy to make, requiring just 30 minutes, 1 pan, and 9 ingredients (which are mostly spices).
What are Moroccan Spices?
Some of the spices common in Moroccan cuisine are cinnamon, cumin, ginger, paprika, saffron, and turmeric. A blend called Ras El Hanout is also commonly used in Moroccan cooking. It includes spices such as anise, cardamom, cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, turmeric, and peppers. (source)
Find more info on how Moroccan spices are used here. And learn more about the history of Ras El Hanout, as well as a traditional recipe for this vibrant spice blend here.
How to Make Roasted Carrots
If you’ve never eaten perfectly roasted carrots, you’re in for a treat!
The following are our top tips for achieving tender, caramelized, and flavorful roasted carrots:
- Cut evenly: The more evenly you cut the pieces, the more evenly they will cook.
- Cooking time and temperature: We recommend cooking at 375 Fahrenheit (190 C) for 20-25 minutes, or until tender and browned on the edges. This temperature allows the carrots to brown nicely while also cooking through without burning.
- Spices: In addition to being packed with antioxidants, spices are a great way to add flavor!
I’m drawn to Moroccan spices because they’re smoky, spicy, and complex, meaning they play perfectly with the sweet, caramelized flavor the carrots take on when roasted.
But you could also switch up the flavor profile in this recipe and use curry powder, shawarma, or your favorite spice blend!
We hope you LOVE these carrots. They’re:
Quick & easy
& SO delicious!
They are delicious on their own or topped with tahini, Za’atar, or our Zesty Dill Yogurt Sauce. They would also make a delicious addition to our Ultimate Mediterranean Bowl.
More Carrot Recipes
If you try this recipe, let us know! Leave a comment, rate it, and don’t forget to tag a photo #minimalistbaker on Instagram. Cheers, friends!
Moroccan-Spiced Roasted Carrots
- 1 lb carrots, greens removed, cut on a diagonal into 1-1 ½ inch pieces (1 medium bundle yields ~1 lb)
- 2-3 Tbsp avocado oil
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1/4 tsp ground ginger
- 1/8 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp ground turmeric
- 1/8 tsp ground cayenne (optional)
FOR SERVING optional
- Preheat oven to 375 F (190 C) and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Add carrots to the baking sheet and drizzle with oil, salt, paprika, cumin, ginger, cinnamon, turmeric, and cayenne (optional), and toss well to combine.
- Cook for 20-25 minutes, or until the carrots are tender and slightly browned. Serve hot as is, or with tahini, Za’atar, or our Zesty Dill Yogurt Sauce. These would also make a delicious addition to our Ultimate Mediterranean Bowl.
- Store leftovers covered in the refrigerator for up to 3-4 days. Not freezer friendly. Reheat in a 350 F (176 C) oven, in the microwave, or on the stovetop over medium heat until hot.
Leave a Comment & Rating!