If you’ve ever wished you could drink peanut sauce through a straw, this is the soup for you.
Since discovering Thai food years ago (as inauthentic as it may be in my world), I’ve fallen in love. I make Pad Thai for dinner (find our go-to recipe in our 31 Meals Cookbook) several times a month, primarily because we love any and every excuse to douse things in peanut sauce.
I love serving our Pad Thai with loads of fresh diced carrots for added crunch and nutrition. Carrots drizzled in Sriracha and peanut sauce is a trifecta of flavor perfection. If you’ve not experienced it, please do (immediately).
I think you know where I’m going with this…
Carrot soup, you guys.
Carrot soup PLUS peanut butter, chili garlic sauce and basil. LIT’rally like drinking peanut sauce through a straw but with far less guilt and way more nutritiounal value. For the win!
Benefits of this recipe:
8 ingredients (plus desired toppings)
Perfect use for spring carrots and fresh basil
Feeds a crowd with ease
Freezes well for easy dinners/lunches later on
Plus, look at how gorgeous and colorful it is! Beta carotene much?
So what does it taste like?! It’s
Not too spicy
& The perfect light dinner or lunch
I highly recommend topping yours with a combination of the following things:
– Full-fat coconut milk – for an extra touch of creamy decadence/sweet coconut flavor
– Sriracha or chili garlic sauce – for extra heat
– Fresh basil, cilantro or mint – for a fresh boost of herbacious flavor
– A bit of agave or brown sugar – for added sweetness
If you make this soup, let me know what you think in the comments or by taking a picture and tagging it #minimalistbaker on Instagram! I’d love to see. Cheers to healthy eats, friends!
- 1 Tbsp (15 ml) coconut or olive oil
- 1/2 of 1 large yellow onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, diced
- 1 pound carrots, scrubbed (or peeled) and chopped (~4 cups)
- Healthy pinch each salt and pepper
- 2 cups (480 ml) veggie stock + 2 cups water (480 ml)
- 1/3 cup creamy or crunchy salted natural peanut butter (use less for a less intense PB flavor)
- 2 tsp chili garlic sauce (use less for less spice)
- OPTIONAL TOPPINGS: Fresh basil, cilantro, or mint; coconut milk; brown sugar or agave nectar (sub honey if not vegan); Sriracha hot sauce
- (NOT LISTED: Coconut or Olive Oil for sautéing)
- Heat a large pot over medium heat.
- Dice onion and garlic. Add to pot with 1 Tbsp coconut or olive oil (or nonstick spray). Add carrots and cook for 5 minutes.
- Season with a healthy pinch each salt and pepper, then add veggie stock and 2 cups of water and stir.
- Bring to a low boil, then reduce heat to a simmer. Cover and cook for 20 minutes, or until veggies are tender (test by cutting a larger piece of carrot in half – it should cut with ease).
- Transfer to a blender (or use an immersion blender) and blend until smooth and creamy. (Cover with a towel in case your lid leaks any soup while blending.)
- Add peanut butter and chili garlic sauce to the blender and blend to combine, using a ‘puree’ or ‘liquify’ setting if you have it.
- Taste and adjust seasonings as needed. For a touch of added sweetness, add a Tbsp or so of brown sugar, maple syrup or agave nectar (or honey if not vegan). Add more chili garlic sauce for more heat.
- Serve immediately with fresh basil or herbs of choice. A drizzle of coconut milk will add a creamy, sweet touch. Serve with sriracha for extra heat.