With an Instant Pot and less than 45 minutes, you can make tender sweet potatoes with minimal effort!
Leave the oven off and make tender sweet potatoes in the Instant Pot instead. Let us show you how.
Instant Pot Sweet Potatoes
Our preferred method for cooking sweet potatoes is still this fast method of halving and roasting them in the oven. But Instant Pot sweet potatoes have their place.
Using the Instant Pot is best for when you:
- Don’t have an oven
- Want the health benefits of steaming over roasting
- Or simply don’t feel like dirtying a knife and cutting board!
Simply add 1 cup of water to the Instant Pot, add the trivet (metal rack), and place the whole sweet potatoes on the trivet. The cooking time will vary based on the size of the potatoes, so it’s best to use potatoes that are as even in size as possible. Cook on high pressure for perfectly tender potatoes:
- Small sweet potatoes (~2 inches or 51 mm diameter) = 20 minutes
- Medium sweet potatoes (~2 ½ inches or 64 mm diameter) = 25 minutes
Once the potatoes are cooked, allow 10 minutes for the pressure to naturally release, then release any remaining pressure.
Sweet potatoes are incredibly versatile! Slice and add your favorite toppings (like vegan sour cream, black beans, and green onion), serve as a side to nearly any main, or add to muffins, smoothies, and more.
Did you find this helpful? If so, be sure to check out our Instant Pot Cooking Times Guide for perfectly cooked grains, beans, and more!
If you try this recipe, let us know! Leave a comment, rate it, and don’t forget to tag a photo #minimalistbaker on Instagram. Cheers, friends!
Instant Pot Sweet Potatoes (Fast, Tender, Perfect!)
- 3 small to medium sweet potatoes (~2-2 ½ inches or 5-6 cm wide)
- 1 cup water
FOR SERVING optional
- Vegan butter
- Use a fork to poke holes in the sweet potatoes; holes should be approximately 1 inch apart around entire potato.
- Add 1 cup of water to your Instant Pot and set the metal trivet over top. Then place sweet potatoes on the trivet (they can be touching, but to ensure even cooking, don't stack or overcrowd).
- Secure lid and pressure cook on high for 20-25 minutes (20 minutes for small sweet potatoes (~2 inches in diameter) and 25 minutes for medium (~2.5-3 inches in diameter)).
- Once the timer goes off, allow to naturally release for 10 minutes, then release any remaining pressure. Carefully remove lid once steam has fully escaped.
*Total time includes active cook time, release time, and the time it takes for the Instant Pot to heat up (~8 minutes).