When you want sweet potatoes and you want them fast, this is how to do it!
Not only is this method quick, but it produces perfectly tender sweet potatoes with a slightly caramelized edge — as if you had roasted them in the oven. Swoon!
Plus, this version requires only 1 pan, 2 ingredients, and 8 minutes to prepare (because who has time for roasting some days?). Let’s do this!
It starts with slicing the sweet potato slightly less than 1/4 inch thick. The more even the slices, the more evenly they will cook.
Then add to a hot greased skillet (we prefer cast iron) and cover with a lid. Covering them allows the potatoes to soften from the steam, which accelerates the cooking process.
That’s the beauty of this method: They’re steaming and browning at the same time!
Once golden brown on the underside, flip and repeat until they are fork tender and browned on both sides. It’s really that simple.
We hope you LOVE these sweet potatoes! They’re:
Quick & easy
& Incredibly delicious
These sweet potatoes are delicious on their own, as a side dish drizzled with tahini and parsley, or in a breakfast bowl (recipe coming soon!).
Love Sweet Potatoes? Try Our:
- Sweet Potato Casserole Boats (1 Pan!)
- Curried Sweet Potato & Chickpeas
- 2-Ingredient Sweet Potato Hash Browns
- How to Roast a Sweet Potato
- Sweet Potato Black Bean Enchiladas
If you try this recipe, let us know! Leave a comment, rate it, and don’t forget to tag a photo #minimalistbaker on Instagram. Cheers, friends!
8-Minute Sweet Potatoes
- 1 large organic sweet potato or garnet yam
- 2 tsp avocado oil
- 1 pinch sea salt (optional)
FOR SERVING optional
- Slice sweet potatoes slightly less than 1/4 inch thick and leave the skin on.
- Heat a large skillet (we prefer cast iron) over medium-high heat. Once hot, reduce heat to medium and add oil to pan. Swirl to coat.
- Add sweet potatoes in an even layer, sprinkle with salt (optional), and cover. Cook for about 3-4 minutes or until the underside is golden brown. Then flip and cover again. Reduce heat slightly if cooking too quickly. Cook for about 3 minutes, or until the sweet potatoes are golden brown on both sides and fork tender.
- Enjoy as is! We love these as part of breakfast bowls, with hummus, or just drizzled with tahini!
- Store leftovers covered in the refrigerator up to 2-3 days. Not freezer friendly. Reheat on the stovetop over medium heat for best results.