If you’ve ever wondered how to make dairy-free buttercream frosting, you’re in the right place! This step-by-step tutorial will demonstrate how easy it is to make perfect dairy-free buttercream frosting every time! Plus, we share our favorite dairy-free butter brands, tips for success, and recipes to put it to good use!
Dairy-Free Buttercream Frosting vs. Buttercream Frosting
The two main differences between traditional and dairy-free buttercream frosting are:
- The dairy butter is replaced with vegan butter.
- The whipping cream or milk is replaced with non-dairy milk.
As for preparation, the basic rules still apply:
- Use softened vegan (or dairy-free) butter, which blends better (and don’t microwave chilled butter to speed softening time – it will make your buttercream runny)
- Use quality powdered sugar and sift it before adding to the butter or it can form clumps
- If your buttercream gets too thick, simply thin with a little dairy-free milk of choice (ours being creamy coconut)
How to use it?
On cakes, cupcakes, cookies, and more, including:
- Apple Gingerbread Cake
- Gluten-Free Carrot Cake
- Vegan Sugar Cookies
- Gluten-Free Vanilla Cake
- Gluten-Free Vegan Pumpkin Cake
- Vegan Funfetti Cupcakes
- French Toast Sugar Cookies
- Vegan Pumpkin Sugar Cookies
- Vegan Gluten-Free Sugar Cookies
- Vegan Gluten-Free Cinnamon Rolls
We hope you LOVE this recipe! If you give it a try let us know! Leave a comment, rate it, and don’t forget to tag a photo #minimalistbaker on Instagram so we can see what you come up with. Cheers, friends!
How to Make Dairy-Free Buttercream Frosting
Fluffy Dairy-Free Buttercream Frosting made with 4 simple ingredients and 1 bowl! Perfect for decorating cupcakes, cakes, and more!
- 1 stick vegan butter (1 stick = 1/2 cup // our current preferred brand is Miyokos, but Earth Balance also works)
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- 2 ½ - 3 cups sifted organic powdered sugar (ensure vegan-friendly as needed)
- 3-4 Tbsp full fat coconut milk or other dairy-free milk (optional // we prefer coconut)
Add softened vegan butter to a large mixing bowl and use an electric hand mixer to cream butter until light and fluffy - about 1 minute. Then add vanilla and mix once more to combine.
Add sifted powdered sugar in 1/2 cup measurements and continue mixing until well combined and fluffy, scraping down sides as needed.
If too thick, add 1 Tbsp at a time of dairy-free milk until desired consistency is achieved (optional).
Use immediately or store frosting in the refrigerator for up to 1 week or in the freezer up to 1 month.
*Frosting will melt and spoil if kept at room temperature for too long. We recommend frosting immediately before enjoying or storing cupcakes in the refrigerator after decorating.
*Recipe as written makes ~1 ¾ cup frosting
*Nutrition information is a rough estimate calculated with Miyokos dairy-free butter and with lesser amounts of ingredient ranges.
Nutrition Per Serving (1 of 14 two-tablespoon servings)
- Calories: 143
- Fat: 6.5g
- Saturated fat: 5.3g
- Sodium: 39mg
- Potassium: 7mg
- Carbohydrates: 21.5g
- Sugar: 21g