Though I’ve known about green smoothies for a long time now, my mind is still blown by that fact that I can rack up 4 servings of fruit and veg before the clock ever strikes 8 (or in our house, 11 – don’t judge).
You may or may not already be familiar with green smoothies. But here are two things you may not know about them:
1. You can throw your greens in the freezer so you always have dark leafy, nutrient-packed greens on hand. Look at that! So fancy! And it doesn’t affect the flavor or texture of your smoothie one bit.
2. You can craft a smoothie that completely hides the taste and texture of kale. And not a little kale, like handfuls. Let’s do this!
This smoothie is the same but different than my 5 Ingredient Detox Smoothie. They both contain frozen bananas, frozen berries and fruit juice. But this one hides kale like a boss and is packed with hemp seeds.
“Hey Sheila, why does that matter?” You’re probably thinking…
Well, Sheila and Rhonda, let me tell you. It matters because hemp seeds contain loads of fiber, protein, vitamins, minerals and all 20 of the essential amino acids, including the 9 essential ones. And all of that supports just about every part of your body function. You need hemp seeds in your life, period.
Smoothies are easy. I don’t need to tell you that! Just add everything to a blender and whirl. Yipee!
This smoothie is amazing. It’s:
Loaded with berries
Packed with kale
& Super healthy
And no, you really can’t taste the kale! Make this smoothie and then report back. I’ll wait…
Hide Your Kale Smoothie
- 1 medium ripe banana (previously peeled, sliced and frozen // 1 banana yields ~3/4 cup)
- 1/2 cup frozen mixed berries (or sub blueberries)
- 1 heaping Tbsp hulled hemp seeds (organic if possible)
- 2 cups frozen or fresh kale (any kind)
- 2/3 cup 100% pomegranate juice
- 3/4-1 1/2 cups filtered water
Add all ingredients to a blender and blend until smooth, adding more water as needed. Taste and adjust flavors as needed. Add more banana or some agave for added sweetness.
Serve immediately – enough for 2.
*Pomegranate juice really makes this recipe and seems to hide the kale best. I’ve tried it with orange and cherry and they didn’t do the job quite as well! Use substitute as you see fit.
*Adding a bit of almond milk ups the creaminess.
*1 Tbsp of almond butter would add even more staying power.
*Nutrition information is a rough estimate.
Nutrition Per Serving (1 of 2 smoothies)
- Calories: 183
- Fat: 0.3g
- Carbohydrates: 37g
- Fiber: 4g
- Sugar: 21g
- Protein: 3.4g