If a Butterfinger candy became a cupcake, this would be it! These decadent peanut butter chocolate cupcakes combine our moist gluten-free chocolate cake mix with a rich, FLUFFY vegan peanut butter frosting for a drool-worthy cupcake combo!
Just 7 ingredients and simple methods required! Let’s make cupcakes, friends!
This recipe begins with our NEW Chocolate Cake + Cupcake Mix! Have you tried it yet?
We worked so hard to perfect this vegan, gluten-free mix that also happens to be naturally sweetened and super easy to make!
To the mix, simply add oil, water, and vanilla and whisk! Then, take a moment to appreciate how silky, rich, and sexy your chocolate cake batter is. We’ll wait.
Once baked, let cool and move on to the frosting!
We found it’s really hard to infuse natural peanut butter into frosting because of the natural oil separation that occurs.
However, after some trial and error, we discovered that whipping the peanut butter with powdered sugar first stabilizes the peanut butter and allows you to achieve light, fluffy peanut butter frosting. It’s magic!
Whip into fluffy peanut butter clouds of bliss. We won’t blame you for sampling a few finger-fulls (we certainly did).
All that’s left to do is marry the most perfectly matched flavor combination of all time: CHOCOLATE + PEANUT BUTTER (amiright?).
Frost your cupcakes generously with the peanut butter frosting and garnish with some chopped roasted peanuts for a salty crunch.
Then it’s officially sampling time! Prepare yourself for an eyes-roll-back-in-head type of moment.
These cupcakes are the perfect treat for Halloween parties, although we’d argue they deserve a spot at parties year-round.
More Chocolate-Peanut Butter Recipes
- Easy Homemade Chocolate Peanut Butter Cups
- Vegan Peanut Butter No-Bake Cookies
- Healthier Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Cookies (GF, 1 Bowl)
- Easy 5-Ingredient Protein Bars (Peanut Butter Chocolate!)
SHOP NOW to try our baking mixes!
Fluffy Chocolate Peanut Butter Cupcakes (Vegan + GF)
- 1 package Minimalist Baker Chocolate Cake + Cupcake Mix (see notes for other options)
- 1/4 cup creamy natural peanut butter (ensure it only has one ingredient: peanuts)
- 1 cup powdered sugar (ensure organic for vegan-friendly)
- 1/2 cup softened vegan butter (salted // we used Miyoko’s)
- 1/4 cup finely chopped roasted salted peanuts
- CUPCAKES: Prepare chocolate cupcakes according to package instructions. Let cool completely.
- FROSTING: To a medium mixing bowl add natural peanut butter and powdered sugar. Whip well with an electric mixer so the powdered sugar fully absorbs the peanut butter’s oil. This ensures the oil will not separate from the peanut butter in the future! It will look crumbly at this point, which is normal.
- Add the softened vegan butter to the peanut butter mixture. Whip starting on a low speed and slowly working up to high. Whip for 1 minute until light and fluffy with no peanut butter flecks remaining.
- If using immediately, you can leave the frosting at room temperature for up to 1 hour. Or, for later use, place in an airtight container and store in the refrigerator so it doesn’t melt. When ready to use, let it stand at room temperature for 30 minutes and give it a good stir before frosting your cupcakes.
- To frost the cupcakes, use a small cookie scoop (we like this one) or tablespoon to scoop out ~1 ½ – 2 Tbsp of frosting and place on a cupcake. Repeat until each cupcake is topped with frosting. If there is any extra in the bowl, you can divide it evenly between the cupcakes. Use an offset spatula or knife to gently push the frosting to the edges of the cupcakes and smooth out the tops. You can also give it a little swirl if you’d like!
- TOPPING: Top each cupcake with ~1 teaspoon of finely chopped peanuts. Enjoy at room temperature or store in the refrigerator for up to 2-3 days, although they are best eaten within 24 hours! Unfrosted cupcakes can be stored in the freezer for up to 1 month.
*The peanut butter frosting would be delicious on any chocolate cake recipe or mix you choose to use. We’d suggest this recipe for GF + vegan and this recipe for just vegan.
*Prep time includes cooling the cupcakes.
*Nutrition information is a rough estimate calculated with our packaged Chocolate Cake Mix and ingredients used to prepare it.