Friends! We’re SO excited about this one. This dish is inspired by a recipe from the talented Deb Perelman of Smitten Kitchen. We’ve simplified and veganized her delicious recipe for the ultimate “cheesy” and saucy plant-based entrée!
This zippy and savory meal takes all the things you love about pizza and pasta and pairs them with fiber- and protein-rich beans! And (if you can believe it) it requires just 10 ingredients and 30 minutes. Yep, that’s including the homemade cheese sauce! Let us show you how it’s done!
How to Make Vegan Pizza Beans
With a name like pizza beans, there are a few essential ingredients that we must include. First, garlic and red pepper flakes sauté in olive oil for a slightly spicy and super savory base.
Next, we add more potent pizza-ness with crushed tomatoes and dried Italian herbs. Maple syrup adds an optional touch of sweetness and balance. Then we add the white beans, toss it all together, and let it simmer to soften the beans and meld the flavors!
While the beans are getting saucy, it’s time to blend up our “cheese” sauce! We blend raw cashews with water, lemon juice, nutritional yeast, tapioca starch, and salt. The result is a milky mixture that gets poured over the beans. This is the time to trust the process, friends! The “cheese” firms up by covering with a lid and steaming.
Then after (optionally) broiling, the “cheese” becomes deliciously browned on top and perfectly creamy underneath. Yep, it’s pretty life changing!
We hope you LOVE these vegan pizza beans! They’re:
& SO easy!
They make a delicious dinner alongside salads, garlic bread, sautéed greens, or roasted vegetables. After that, the leftovers keep well in the refrigerator or freezer. Who doesn’t love meal-prepped pizza?! Count us in.
Love Beans? Try These Recipes Next:
- 1-Pot BBQ Baked Beans
- Smoky BBQ Bean Tacos (Vegan, GF)
- Super Garlicky Tomato Soup with Smashed White Beans
- Hearty White Bean Caesar Salad Bowls
If you try this recipe, let us know! Leave a comment, rate it, and don’t forget to tag a photo @minimalistbaker on Instagram. Cheers, friends!
Cheesy Vegan Pizza Beans (30 Minutes!)
- 1/2 cup raw cashews
- 2/3 cup water
- 1 Tbsp lemon juice
- 2 ½ Tbsp nutritional yeast (for cheesiness)
- 2 Tbsp tapioca starch (for stretchiness // also called tapioca flour)
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 4 large cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4-1/2 tsp red pepper flakes (optional)
- 1 (15 oz.) can crushed tomatoes
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 Tbsp dried Italian herbs*
- 1 tsp maple syrup (optional)
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 2 (15 oz.) cans white beans, drained and rinsed (we used cannellini // or ~3 ½ cups cooked homemade beans)
FOR SERVING optional
- Freshly chopped basil
- CHEESE SAUCE: Add cashews to a heatproof bowl and cover with hot water by at least 1-2 inches. Let them soak while you get started on the beans.
- BEANS: Heat a large stainless steel or enameled cast iron skillet (or other oven-safe skillet) over medium-low heat. Once hot, add olive oil and garlic and sauté until fragrant — about 1 minute. Add red pepper flakes (optional) and stir to infuse flavor. Turn down heat if cooking too quickly.
- Add the crushed tomatoes, 1/4 cup (60 ml) water, Italian herbs, maple syrup (optional), and salt. Stir to combine, then add the white beans and mix to evenly distribute. Bring to a simmer over medium heat, cover, and let cook for 15-20 minutes until the beans are tender and the sauce is bubbly.
- CHEESE SAUCE: While the beans simmer, make your cheese sauce. Drain the cashews and add them to a high-speed blender along with 2/3 cup (160 ml) water, lemon juice, nutritional yeast, tapioca starch, and salt. Blend on high until very smooth and milky in texture, about 1 minute. Set aside.
- Once the beans are tender, reduce the heat to low and carefully pour the cheese sauce over the beans in an even layer. Cover and steam for 2-3 minutes to encourage the cheese to firm up, then transfer to the oven to broil (optional) for another 2-3 minutes, or until the cheese is darkened in spots and dry to the touch. Optionally, garnish with fresh basil.
- Reheat leftovers in oven or microwave until warmed through.
*Nutrition information is a rough estimate calculated without optional ingredients.