You know when you’re eating something so delicious you just can’t stop saying, “Mmmmmm, so good!” That’s exactly what happened with these vegan BBQ bean tacos! They’re not to be missed.
Here’s the deets: Ready in 25 minutes with 10 basic ingredients. Plant-based and gluten-free. Packed with smoky, spicy BBQ flavor. Hearty and satisfying. Mega satisfying. And topped with optional (and highly recommended) Jicama Slaw and Guacamole! Make these your next meal — you won’t be disappointed. Let us show you how it’s done!
Origins of Tacos
But first, who exactly invented the taco? It’s still a bit of a mystery! But a professor who has spent much time researching the topic theorizes that tacos were invented by Mexican silver miners in the 18th century.
Tacos became popular throughout Mexico and were introduced to the US by Mexican immigrants in the 19th century. The following BBQ bean tacos are not traditional, but a plant-based take inspired by the life-changing combination of tortillas with a simple, flavorful filling.
How to Make These Vegan Bean Tacos
These tacos start with sautéing onions for their sweet, caramelized goodness. Once they’re tender, we add a flavor-packed combination of chipotle peppers in adobo, cumin, and smoked paprika.
Next come the pinto beans (black beans or white beans would also work) along with water to turn it into a saucy broth that infuses the beans with flavor while they cook. Maple syrup adds sweetness and balances the heat, while sea salt enhances all the flavors and lime juice adds brightness.
We hope you LOVE these vegan bean tacos! They’re:
Quick & easy
& SO satisfying!
They’re perfect for weeknight meals and meal prep, and are even delicious enough to impress dinner guests (just make sure they like spicy first!). You’ve gotta try this one, friends!
More Delicious Vegan Taco Recipes
- Roasted Vegetable Tacos with Magic Green Sauce
- Saucy Portobello & Butternut Squash Tacos
- Roasted Cauliflower Tacos with Chipotle Romesco
- Spicy Jackfruit Tacos (1-Pot Meal!)
If you try this recipe, let us know! Leave a comment, rate it, and don’t forget to tag a photo #minimalistbaker on Instagram. Cheers, friends!
Smoky BBQ Bean Tacos (Vegan, GF)
SMOKY BBQ BEANS
- 1 Tbsp avocado oil
- 1 cup diced white onion
- 1-4 chipotle peppers in adobo, roughly chopped (from a can // ~1 – 2 ½ Tbsp as recipe is written // spiciness varies by brand)
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 Tbsp smoked paprika
- 1 (15-ounce) can pinto beans, drained and rinsed
- 1/2 cup water (or sub vegetable broth for more flavor), plus more as needed
- 1 Tbsp maple syrup
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1 Tbsp lime juice
- Heat the avocado oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the onion and sauté for 4 minutes, until translucent and beginning to soften.
- Add the chopped chipotles in adobo (use the lesser amount if sensitive to spice), cumin, and smoked paprika, and cook until fragrant — about 1 minute.
- Add the drained pinto beans, water (or vegetable broth), maple syrup, and salt and stir to combine. Cook for 7-8 minutes, until warmed through and slightly thickened. Add the lime juice, stir, and season to taste, adding more paprika for smokiness, minced chipotle pepper for heat, or lime juice for brightness.
- When the beans are ready (tender and well seasoned), warm tortillas by wrapping in a damp paper towel (or kitchen towel) and microwaving for 30 seconds to 1 minute. If using fresh or homemade tortillas, you can warm them one at a time in a cast iron skillet over high heat for 10-20 seconds on each side (or until just warmed), then wrap in a towel to keep warm until serving.