If you’ve never made your own applesauce, you’re missing out! It’s one of those foods that tastes better homemade than store-bought.
Plus, it’s super simple to make! Our 3-ingredient applesauce requires just 25 minutes and 1 pan to prepare. And it’s made without any added sugar. Just apples, lemon, and cinnamon. Let’s do this!
How to Make Applesauce
We told you it’s easy, but “How easy?” you might ask!
- Peel and chop apples. You don’t even need to peel them if that’s more your style!
- Add to a saucepan with cinnamon.
- Cook 15-20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Mash with a spoon or potato masher and add lemon juice.
How to Make Applesauce in the Instant Pot
- Add all ingredients to inner pot and pressure cook on high for 8 minutes.
- Once timer goes off, carefully quick release pressure.
- Use the back of a wooden spoon, potato masher, or immersion blender to mash into a loose sauce.
- If there is too much liquid, turn on the sauté mode and stir frequently to encourage evaporation (cover with the lid if there’s splattering).
- Press cancel when desired consistency is reached.
Best Apples for Applesauce
We prefer applesauce that doesn’t need any sugar added. Honeycrisps (or other sweet varieties) work well for creating a naturally sweet sauce.
For a tart applesauce, you can choose Granny Smith apples instead.
We hope you LOVE this applesauce. It’s:
Great for freezing
& SO delicious!
It’s incredible by the spoonful but would also pair well with coconut yogurt, vegan vanilla ice cream, coconut whipped cream, oats, waffles, pancakes (or vegan pancakes), and so much more! We think you could even use it as an alternative topping for our Caramel Apple Cheesecake Tart.
Recipes with Applesauce
Some of our vegan baking recipes use applesauce as an egg replacement. To use this homemade applesauce in such recipes, we recommend puréeing into a smoother texture.
- Vegan Gluten-Free Apple Cider Donuts
- 1-Bowl Vegan Gluten-Free Vanilla Cake
- 1-Bowl Chocolate Zucchini Bread
- 1-Bowl Vegan Gluten-Free Carrot Cake
- 1-Bowl Carrot Apple Muffins (Vegan + GF)
If you try this recipe, let us know! Leave a comment, rate it, and don’t forget to tag a photo #minimalistbaker on Instagram. Cheers, friends!
3-Ingredient Applesauce (No Sugar Added)
- 2 medium honeycrisp apples, peeled, cored, and chopped in bite-size pieces (sweet apples are best // leave peel on for more texture and fiber)
- 1/4 tsp ground cinnamon (plus more to taste)
- 2-3 Tbsp water
- 1 tsp lemon juice or apple cider vinegar (for preserving / keeping fresh longer / tartness)
- 1-2 tsp maple syrup (or other sweetener of choice // optional)
- To a medium saucepan (see notes for Instant Pot instructions) add peeled chopped apples, cinnamon, a dash of water (~2-3 Tbsp / 30-45 ml as original recipe is written), and lemon juice or apple cider vinegar. Stir.
- Cover and cook over medium heat until it simmers, then reduce heat to low / medium-low and continue cooking until the apples are very tender and slightly caramelized — about 15-20 minutes. Stir occasionally.
- Use the back of a wooden spoon or potato masher to mash into a loose sauce. You could also blend with an immersion blender, in a food processor or high-speed blender for smoother texture (optional) – a helpful step if you left the skins on. Add a dash of maple syrup or sugar of choice to sweeten (optional – depends on sweetness of your apples).
- Enjoy fresh, or store cooled leftovers in the refrigerator up to 4-5 days, or in the freezer up to 1 month. Enjoy cold or reheated in the microwave or on the stovetop over low heat until hot (add more water as needed if dry).
*Nutrition information is a rough estimate.
Leave a Comment & Rating!