This strawberry cake is pure magic. One bite and it shot us straight back to childhood memories of eating hot pink cake at birthday parties. It’s not only fresh and vibrant with strawberry flavor, but also incredibly fluffy and sweet, and each bite is like a flavor explosion in the mouth. We’re talking rainbows and unicorns and happiness on a plate. Whoa.
Plus, top with our Vegan Strawberry Buttercream Frosting (infused with real, ripe strawberries), and you’ll be in pure bliss! The best part? It’s undetectably vegan and gluten-free, SO easy to make, and just 9 ingredients and 1 bowl required (we know, it’s borderline sorcery). Let us show you how it’s done!
How to Make Strawberry Cake
This gluten-free, vegan strawberry cake relies on fresh strawberries to celebrate the season’s harvest and infuse it with strawberry flavor, naturally.
They’re blended into a purée and mixed with avocado oil for richness, organic cane sugar for sweetness, and vanilla extract for a subtle vanilla flavor. Using another granulated sweetener such as coconut sugar might also work, but we find cane sugar helps the cake retain a pretty color.
For flours, we relied on our trusty gluten-free mix of almond flour, potato starch, and cornstarch. This combination is perfect for cakes and cupcakes because it yields a light and fluffy texture. Find it in our vanilla cake, coffee cake, and vanilla cupcakes.
The remaining dry ingredients include baking powder for leavening and sea salt for flavor enhancement. Once mixed, it’s ready for baking!
Using two round cake pans will give you the prettiest two-layer cake, perfect for lathering with a batch of our vegan strawberry frosting.
Decorate it with more fresh strawberries for the most stunning and vibrant pink cake.
We hope you LOVE this strawberry cake! It’s:
& Vibrant with strawberry flavor!
It’s the perfect cake to bring to all your spring and summer gatherings. Bookmark this one for upcoming birthday parties, baby showers, and beyond!
More Gluten-Free Vegan Cake Recipes
- 1-Bowl Vegan Gluten-Free Vanilla Cake
- 1-Bowl Vegan Gluten-Free Chocolate Cake
- Gluten-Free Birthday Cake (Vegan)
- 1-Bowl Vegan Gluten-Free Carrot Cake
If you try this recipe, let us know! Leave a comment, rate it, and don’t forget to tag a photo #minimalistbaker on Instagram. Cheers, friends!
Vegan Strawberry Cake (GF)
- 1 cup strawberry purée (~1 ½ cups or 200 g of halved, fresh strawberries as recipe is written // blend until smooth // organic when possible and as ripe as possible for best flavor)
- 1/4 cup avocado oil (or other neutral oil)
- 2/3 cup organic cane sugar (you could try subbing natural sweeteners, but we haven’t tested any yet)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 ½ cups almond flour*
- 3/4 cup potato starch* (not potato flour)
- 1/3 cup cornstarch* (or sub arrowroot, but we haven’t tried it yet)
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- Preheat oven to 350 F (176 C) and line a baking dish with parchment paper. This recipe will make one 8×8-inch square, one 9-inch circle, or two 6-inch rounds (adjust if altering batch size).
- To a large mixing bowl, add strawberry purée, oil, sugar, and vanilla extract. Whisk to combine.
- Add almond flour, potato starch, cornstarch, baking powder, and salt to the wet ingredients and mix until fully incorporated with no lumps remaining. The texture should be thick, like cornbread batter.
- Pour the batter into your prepared baking dish, spread into an even layer, and bake on the center rack for 25-30 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. The center of the cake should be firm but springy when touched and the edges slightly golden brown.
- Let your cake cool in the pan for 10 minutes before carefully turning it out onto a cooling rack.
- Best enjoyed the first day but will last, covered, at room temperature up to 3 days. Freeze up to 1 month (then thaw at room temperature).
*Nutrition information is a rough estimate calculated without frosting.