This vegan and gluten-free take on Mexican wedding cookies may have you questioning if they might just be the real deal. Studded with pecans, these cookies are deliciously buttery, crispy, perfectly sweet, and SO classic.
They’re made in 1 bowl with 7 ingredients and no chill time. It doesn’t get any easier than that. Let’s bake!
What are Mexican Wedding Cookies?
With a name like Mexican wedding cookies, you might think these powdered sugar-coated, buttery, nutty cookies are served at weddings in Mexico. Not so fast!
Instead, how they got their name and where they came from is a bit of a mystery! Similar cookies go by the names Russian tea cakes, Mexican wedding cakes, Swedish tea cookies, and more. They’re also similar to an ancient Arab cookie and a buttery Greek cookie.
One thing is certain: Variations of these delicious cookies are embraced around the world. The following is our vegan and gluten-free take!
How to Make Vegan Gluten-Free Mexican Wedding Cookies
First things first: These perfectly buttery cookies need butter! Softened vegan butter, to be exact. After whipping the butter on its own, powdered sugar gets added for sweetness and a smooth, fluffy cookie dough. Also, vanilla extract because you gotta!
Next come the dry ingredients: Our 1:1 Gluten-Free Flour Blend works its magic along with almond flour for a neutral, sweet, and balanced cookie with the perfect crumb. It’s pretty heavenly!
Chopped pecans are really the je ne sais quoi of Mexican wedding cookies. They bring magical texture and the classic wedding cookie taste, but if you don’t like them or can’t have them, you can sub hazelnuts, almonds, or walnuts!
Chilling? Never heard of her. We roll these babies right up and bake! No time to waste!
After baking, we roll the cookies in powdered sugar while still warm to create a sticky base for the second and final dusting of powdered sugar to stick. Then they’re ready for enjoying!
We hope you LOVE these Mexican wedding cookies. They’re:
& Undetectably vegan & gluten-free!
More Easy Holiday Treats
- 5-Ingredient Almond Butter Dark Chocolate Snowballs
- Vegan Gluten-Free Banana Pecan Shortbread (Butter-Free)
- 3-Ingredient Chocolate Fudge (Dairy-Free)
If you try this recipe, let us know! Leave a comment, rate it, and don’t forget to tag a photo @minimalistbaker on Instagram. Cheers, friends!
Vegan Gluten-Free Mexican Wedding Cookies
- 1/3 cup powdered sugar (ensure organic for vegan-friendly)
- Preheat your oven to 400 degrees F (204 C) and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- To a medium bowl add softened vegan butter and powdered sugar. Use a handheld or stand mixer to beat the mixture on high until it’s light and fluffy. Add vanilla and beat again.
- Add gluten free flour, almond flour, and salt. Mix on low until just combined. Add the chopped pecans and give it one final stir.
- Scoop out tablespoon-sized pieces of dough and roll into little balls. Place them about an inch apart on the baking sheet.
- Bake for 9-11 minutes until the tops are just starting to turn golden. Fill a small bowl with powdered sugar and set aside. Let the cookies cool on your baking sheet for 3-5 minutes before generously rolling in the powdered sugar. Once the cookies are completely cool, roll them in the powdered sugar again and enjoy!
*If you don’t like or can’t have pecans, you can substitute hazelnuts, almonds, or walnuts.
*Nutrition information is a rough estimate.
*Loosely adapted from Food.com.