Sometimes the best recipes happen by accident. This is certainly one of them!
I had leftover melted chocolate from another recipe, so I did what any logical person would do: I smeared some almond butter on a date, dunked it, and rolled it in shredded coconut. The rest is history!
Let us show you how easy this recipe is!
Made with just 5-ingredients and ready in just 15 minutes, these satisfying, delicious treats are a must-try.
First, the chocolate and coconut oil are melted in the microwave or on the stovetop. The result is a smooth and creamy mixture perfect for dipping.
The dates are then pitted, creating a perfect slot for smearing a teaspoon of almond butter. Swoon!
Press the sides of the date together so the almond butter doesn’t fall out, and these little gems are ready for dipping!
The almond-butter-filled dates are then dipped in the melted chocolate mixture and rolled in shredded coconut. The result: Chocolate Snowballs. Festive much?
You can let the chocolate set if you’d like. But if you’re anything like us, these delicious snowballs won’t make it that far!
We hope you LOVE these treats as much as we do! They’re:
If you’re into dates, be sure to check out our Tahini Stuffed Dates, Boozy Pecan Pie Bars, Pumpkin Caramels, Healthy Fig Newtons, and 5-Minute Raw-Nola.
If you try this recipe, let us know! Leave a comment, rate it, and don’t forget to tag a photo #minimalistbaker on Instagram. Cheers, friends!
5-Ingredient Almond Butter Dark Chocolate Snowballs
- 1 cup chopped vegan dark chocolate (we like Trader Joe’s 72% dark chocolate)
- 1 Tbsp coconut oil
- 1 ¼ cups finely shredded unsweetened coconut
- 16 Medjool dates (as moist and fresh as possible)
- 8 tsp salted natural almond butter (or sub peanut or sunflower seed butter)
- Add dark chocolate and coconut oil to a small mixing bowl and melt in 30 second increments in the microwave (or over a double boiler on the stovetop). Stir until creamy and smooth. Set aside. Set a fork nearby for dipping dates.
- Pour shredded coconut in a small mixing bowl and set aside. Set a fork nearby for tossing the dates.
- Carefully remove pits from dates, leaving a hollow center in the middle where you’ll place the almond butter. Arrange on a parchment-lined baking sheet for easy cleanup.
- Smear 1/2 tsp almond butter in the center of each date, being careful not to overload it, or it will run out the sides when you’re rolling them — not the worst, just a little messy.
- Next, smash the ends in toward each other and use the palms of your hands to roll the date into a ball shape. Some of the almond butter may squish out, but that’s okay! It’s getting dunked in chocolate soon anyway.
- Place dates one at a time in the chocolate bowl and flip around until coated. Then lift up with a fork and tap off excess.
- Add directly to the shredded coconut and use the fork to toss it around until coated. Shake off excess and return to baking sheet. Repeat until all dates are coated.
- Enjoy immediately — yay! — or wait until chocolate is fully set. Store in a sealed container for 3-4 days. They will last in the refrigerator up to 1 week, or in the freezer up to 1 month! Let thaw/come to room temperature before enjoying, or the date can be a little tough.
Leave a Comment & Rating!