We’ve searched far and wide for a taco seasoning that’s perfectly smoky, savory, flavorful, and made with recognizable ingredients. In this search, we’ve felt like Goldilocks! Some were too sweet, some too salty, until we gave up and decided to make a homemade version. And it was just right!
How to Make Taco Seasoning
Chances are you’ve seen (and used!) those packets of taco seasoning conveniently staring you down from grocery stores shelves. Us too!
But with a well-stocked spice drawer, 5 minutes, and 1 bowl, you can make it exactly to your preference at a fraction of the price! And without anti-caking agents, inflammatory oils, or other less-desirable ingredients.
Here’s what you’ll need:
- Chili powder – we like using a homemade blend when we have it around, but store-bought blends work, too! For brands without anti-caking agents, try checking the bulk section and/or health food stores.
- Nutritional yeast – enhances all the flavors while also supplying some B vitamins!
- Coconut sugar – provides a slightly caramelized natural sweetness to complement the smoky + spicy elements
- Sea salt – included for a similar convenience to store-bought packets, but it could be left out and added when making a dish, if preferred!
- Smoked paprika – for smokiness
- Chipotle powder – for a rich, smoky heat
- Garlic & onion powders – for savory notes
- Cumin – to round out the classic taco seasoning flavors!
Simply combine all the ingredients in a jar or a bowl and shake or stir to evenly distribute the spices. One batch makes about three packets’ worth of taco seasoning, so you’ll be well-stocked for upcoming taco nights!
We hope you LOVE this DIY taco seasoning! It’s:
& SO versatile!
This homemade taco seasoning would also make the perfect gift for taco-loving friends and busy parents or party favor for taco gatherings (because adults like party favors, too!). Taco Tuesday, here we come!
More DIY Spice Mixes
If you try this recipe, let us know! Leave a comment, rate it, and don’t forget to tag a photo @minimalistbaker on Instagram. Cheers, friends!
The BEST Homemade Taco Seasoning
- To a jar with a lid (or a medium mixing bowl), add all of the ingredients and shake (or stir) well to combine. We like to try to break down the nutritional yeast as much as possible to disperse it evenly! Taste and adjust the seasonings to your liking, adding more chipotle powder for heat, coconut sugar for sweetness, smoked paprika for smokiness, or salt to taste.
- Store in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 6 months or in the refrigerator or freezer for 1 year.