I’ve been wanting to share a cauliflower steak for the longest time, and my beloved version is finally here!
If you’ve never had cauliflower “steak,” it’s exactly what it sounds like: cauliflower sliced lengthwise into “steaks,” seasoned, and either grilled or roasted (I went for roasted) until tender on the inside and crispy on the outside. Swoon!
My take is simple, requiring just 30 minutes and 10 ingredients to prepare, which includes my go-to green chutney sauce!
For seasoning the cauliflower, I went with my DIY Shawarma Spice Blend, which creates a smoky, subtly spicy coating that pairs perfectly with the chutney. Learn more about the origin of the dish known as “shawarma,” as well as its accompanying spice blend here!
The end result is PERFECT! It’s:
Tender on the inside
Crispy on the outside
Served with an Indian-inspired green chutney
& Incredibly healthy!
I love this either as a hearty side or served atop a bed of quinoa for more protein (see recipe + notes for more options!)! It could also pair especially well with my Mediterranean Baked Sweet Potatoes, Garlicky Kale Salad with Crispy Chickpeas, Curried Butternut Squash Soup, or Chickpea Shawarma Dip!
If you try this recipe, let us know how it goes! Leave a comment, rate it, and don’t forget to tag a photo #minimalistbaker on Instagram. Cheers, friends!
Shawarma Roasted Cauliflower "Steak"
- 1 large head cauliflower (rinsed, green leaves peeled)
- 1 Tbsp coconut or olive oil (if oil-free, sub water or maple syrup)
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 2 tsp maple syrup (if avoiding sugar, omit)
- 2 1/2 tsp shawarma spice blend (or similar spices you have on hand!)
5-MINUTE GREEN CHUTNEY
- 1 bunch fresh cilantro (~3 ounces as original recipe is written // stems mostly removed)
- 3 cloves garlic (crushed)
- ~1/4 tsp each Salt + pepper (to taste)
- 1 large lime, juiced (~3 Tbsp or 45 ml as original recipe is written // or sub lemon)
- 1 Tbsp sweetener (such as maple syrup // plus more to taste)
- 1-2 Tbsp water (to thin)
- 1/2 medium avocado (optional // for extra creaminess)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (204 C) and slice your cauliflower into 1-inch “steaks,” leaving the large stem at the bottom so it helps the “steaks” hold together.
- Place on a bare or parchment-lined baking sheet and rub the "steaks" with oil (or water), sea salt, maple syrup, and shawarma spice blend to evenly coat. Be gentle, as the cauliflower steaks can break apart, which is no big deal (but it's ideal if they remain in one solid piece).
- Bake for 20-25 minutes total, flipping carefully once at the halfway point to ensure even browning on both sides, or until tender and browned.
- Taste and adjust flavor as needed, adding more maple syrup for sweetness, salt for overall flavor, garlic for kick, or lime for acidity. Add to a serving dish (store leftovers covered in the refrigerator for 4-5 days).
- Store leftover cauliflower steaks in the refrigerator up to 2 days, though best when fresh. Reheat in a hot skillet on the stovetop or in a 350-degree F (176 C) oven.