Chickpeas on chickpeas on chickpeas.
That’s how we do it around here.
Who wants some dip?
The base is hummus, which has its roots in Middle Eastern and Mediterranean cuisine. I kept things simple and used store bought. But you could just as also try my go-to 5-minute hummus recipe or this more authentic recipe!
What is Shawarma?
Shawarma is a classic Levantine Arab dish of meat (lamb, chicken, turkey, beef, or mixed meats) seasoned and placed vertically on a spit and slow roasted. It’s typically sliced thinly and served with tabbouleh, fattoush salad, bread, tomato, and cucumber and various sauces. Though considered a Turkish dish by origin, it’s enjoyed through the Middle East and Mediterranean region in various forms. (source)
In place of meat in this dish, we opt for chickpeas.
What is Shawarma Spice Mix?
Shawarma spice blends were created in the Middle East and used to add flavor and spice to the rotisserie meats. Common spices include cinnamon, nutmeg, clove, all spice, and cayenne. Find our inspired DIY blend here, or try a more authentic version of shawarma spice blend here.
Our chickpeas are tossed in shawarma-inspired spices and baked until crispy and golden brown. Swoon.
In place of tabbouleh (which is a classic Lebanese parsley and grain salad), I prefer an all-parsley salad with tomato, onion, and just a dash of olive oil and lemon juice. Try our grain-free hemp version here! Tabbouleh is so bright and citrusy and pairs so well with this dip.
All that’s left is my go-to 4-ingredient garlic dill sauce (borrowed from my Mediterranean Baked Sweet Potatoes – a reader favorite!). It’s the perfect topper to this easy, 30-minute dip that’s savory, fresh, and full of healthy fats, fiber, and plant-based protein.
I hope you LOVE this dip! It’s:
& SO delicious
This is the perfect appetizer or side whether it’s paired with falafel, roasted sweet potatoes, or salad! I especially love this the next day as leftovers, as the flavors seem to develop the longer it sits. Pair with pita bread, chips, or vegetables for a seriously hearty, flavorful dip.
If you try this recipe, let us know! Leave a comment, rate it, and tag a picture #minimalistbaker on Instagram so we can see! We love to see what you come up with. Cheers, friends!
Chickpea Shawarma Dip
- 1 15-ounce can chickpeas (well drained)
- 1 Tbsp olive or avocado oil
- 1 tsp coconut sugar
- 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp ground turmeric
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
GARLIC HERB SAUCE
PARSLEY SALAD optional
- 1 cup packed finely chopped parsley
- 1/2 cup diced cherry or roma tomatoes
- 1/4 cup diced red onion
- 1 Tbsp lemon juice
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 pinch each sea salt and black pepper
- 16 ounces hummus (store-bought or DIY)
- Pita chips or fresh pita
- Vegetables (cucumber, red pepper, etc.)
- Chili garlic sauce (I love Huy Fong Foods brand)
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 C) and add well-drained chickpeas to a mixing bowl.
- Top with oil, sugar, and spices* and toss to combine. Then spread on a bare or parchment-lined baking sheet. Bake for 20-22 minutes or until deep golden brown and fragrant. Set aside.
- In the meantime, prepare your sauce by adding all ingredients to a mixing bowl and whisking to combine, only adding enough water or almond milk to thin so it’s pourable. Taste and adjust seasonings as needed. Add more garlic for more zing, salt for savoriness, lemon juice for freshness, and dill for a more intense herb flavor. I found mine didn’t need anything else.
- Lastly, prepare parsley-tomato salad by adding parsley, tomato and onion to a small mixing bowl and dressing with lemon juice, olive oil, salt, and pepper. Toss and set aside.
- To serve, spread hummus on a serving platter and top with roasted chickpeas, parsley salad, and garlic dill sauce. I also love garnishing mine with chili garlic sauce for extra heat! Perfect with pita, pita chips, or veggies of choice.
- Best when fresh, though leftovers keep in the refrigerator up to 3 days (store hummus, salad, chickpeas ,and sauce separately for best results).