You may not know this, but John and I are in Europe right now. Surprise!
We pulled a Well Traveled Couple and are off with friends exploring new countries in a foreign land. I couldn’t be more thrilled, a) that I’m actually touring through Europe right now eating pastries and wearing a scarf and b) that I can still bring you delicious eats at the same time. Oh the wonders of the internet. I love my job.
These waffles scream fall with healthy ingredients like pumpkin and cornmeal*. I’ve made a sweet version of pumpkin cornbread waffles before, but was craving something a little less on the dessert side and a little more on the entree side. The experiment was a screaming success.
*Note: you can learn about the origins of cornmeal/ cornbread here.
These waffles are super simple, requiring just 30 minutes and 1 bowl. Plus, they’re vegan and you likely already have all the ingredients you need on hand.
Pumpkin? Check. Cornmeal? Check. Everything else is basically necessity. How very convenient.
These waffles are crisp and cornbread-like with just a hint of pumpkin flavor. They’re also very customizable when it comes to seasonings and mix-ins. I went with salt and pepper and green onions. But I could also see garlic going really well here, as well as jalapenos, chives and even a handful of your favorite cheese (if you dare).
The awesome thing is you don’t have to go the savory route and add an egg on top like I did. You could just as easily slather them with a little butter and maple syrup and go to town. These would also go amazing with sliced avocado or some vegan beer chili! What? Who said that….
Oh yeah, I did. Enjoy-ee.
Savory Pumpkin Cornbread Waffles
- 1 Tbsp flaxseed meal (to make flax egg)
- 2 ½ Tbsp water (to make flax egg)
- 1 Tbsp non-dairy butter (melted // or sub coconut or avocado oil)
- 1 1/4 to 1 1/2 cups unsweetened plain almond milk*
- 1/2 cup pumpkin puree
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 3/4 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1/2 cup whole wheat pastry or all-purpose flour (sub gluten-free flour blend for a GF option)
- 2 Tbsp finely chopped chives, green onions, or jalapeño (optional)
- Prepare flax egg by mixing flaxseed meal and water in a large bowl and let rest for 5 minutes.
- Add pumpkin puree, salt, pepper, baking powder, melted butter and whisk until well combined. Add almond milk and whisk once more.
- Next add flour and cornmeal and stir until just combined – small lumps are OK. Lasty, fold in chives or green onions. Your batter will be thick – let it rest for 5-10 minutes while preheating waffle iron.
- Generously spray waffle iron with non-stick pray and pour heaping 1/2 cup measurements onto the griddle. Close and cook according to manufacturer instructions (should be about 3 minutes).
- Serve warm with vegan butter and maple syrup for a sweet-savory combination, or vegan chili, sliced avocado and salsa, or a fried egg (for non-vegan).
*Nutrition information is a rough estimate calculated without toppings.