I love cashews, I love bananas, I love pie, and I don’t care who knows it!
I truly do love bananas. I eat one nearly every day. So it’s no surprise that my favorite pie is banana cream. But, since I’ve cut out mostly all dairy from my diet I haven’t attempted to make or even take a bite of a banana cream pie in years (*cue: tears). Friends, I was due.
This banana cream pie requires just 10 ingredients including the crust!
Dates + walnuts = crust
Filling = cashews, coconut milk, coconut oil, banana, vanilla, agave nectar, lemon juice, salt
I was once skeptical of cashew-based desserts, but ever since trying these 7 Ingredient Vegan Cheesecakes my mind has been forever changed.
The filling soaked cashews yield is just so creamy, silky sweet and luxurious you can’t beat it. You’d never guess it was dairy free. It doesn’t taste suspect at all. Especially when topped with coconut whipped cream, which is my best friend these days.
The preparation is simple, too. Just process your dates and walnuts in a food processor and press into a springform pan, or a round pan or baking dish lined with plastic wrap if you don’t have a springform (hand raised). Freeze and forget.
Then blend your filling ingredients until creamy and smooth. (You don’t need a Vitamix for this – just a nice quality blender. I use a Kitchenaid.) Pour over the crust, cover and freeze to set. Done and done. The result? Something straight out of heaven.
This pie is perfection. It’s:
Perfectly infused with banana
& A dream when topped with coconut whipped cream, caramel, and crushed peanuts.
I mean, I can’t make this stuff up. It’s just that good.
Make this pie! You will love it…if you love bananas, that is. My sister balks at them. And she used to be allergic to peanut butter! I have no idea how we’re related. I guess our shared affection for desserts and coffee redeems it all.
However, if bananas really aren’t your thing, fret not. Sub strawberries! Or mangoes! Or blueberries. Just pick your fruit and go. Cheers!
Raw Vegan Banana Cream Pie
- 1 heaping cup walnuts
- 1 heaping cup pitted dates (if dry and stiff, soak for 10 minutes in warm water and drain well)
- 1 1/4 cups cashews (soaked for at least 4 hours or overnight, then drained)
- 3 1/2 Tbsp coconut oil (melted)
- 1/4 cup agave nectar or maple syrup
- 1 medium just ripe banana (1 banana yields ~ 1/2 cup mashed)*
- 1/3 cup full-fat coconut milk (I scrape the cream off the top for luxurious texture)
- 1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 2-3 Tbsp lemon juice
- Place dates in the food processor and process until small bits remain and/or it forms into a ball. Remove and set aside.
- Process walnuts until a meal consistency is achieved. Add back in dates and a pinch of salt and mix to combine. When squeezed between two fingers, the crust should stick together and feel moldable. If too dry, add another date or two. If too wet, add a little almond or walnut meal.
- Press into a springform pan, or an 8×8 baking dish or round cake pan lined with plastic wrap or parchment (as original recipe is written // adjust number or size of pan if altering batch size). Press until flat, going up the sides about 1/2 inch. Place in freezer to set.
- Add all filling ingredients to a blender and blend until smooth and creamy – about 1-2 minutes. If it’s having trouble blending, add a little more agave or water to encourage it along. It should be silky smooth when completely combined.
- Taste and adjust seasonings as needed. I think adding a heaping spoonful of peanut butter at this point would be a brilliant idea. Then pour into crust and smooth with a spoon. Tap to release any air bubbles. Then cover and freeze until set – about 4-6 hours.
- To serve, let thaw for 5 minutes. Top slices with coconut whipped cream, crushed peanuts and caramel sauce (optional). Should keep in the freezer, covered, for at least 1 week.
*Sub strawberries, mangoes, or another fruit for bananas if desired.
*Nutrition information is a rough estimate and does not include toppings.
*Prep time does not include set time.
Leave a Comment & Rating!