Dairy-free, dairy-free, dairy-free – I can do this. If I say it enough times, will it work? I hope so – my digestive health depends on it.
Most of the smoothies I’ve made in the past have contained some form of whey protein powder or yogurt, making them a no-go for me while I’m on my dairy-free test run. This recipe was an experiment of sorts. One recent morning I fumbled around the kitchen in my jammers to see if I could get a creamy texture without any dairy and it was a total score. I think the jammies helped.
PB&J has always been one of my favorite flavor combinations, ever since I was a kiddo eating a triangle cut sandwich with eyes locked on a TV playing Woody the Woodpecker. And this smoothie is a a refreshing presentation of that. Dates and bananas provide natural sweetness, blueberries plenty of of antioxidants, peanut butter protein and healthy fat, and flaxseed fiber and omega 3s. The almond milk adds virtually zero calories and a dreamy amount of creaminess. One sip in and I knew it was a win. I see this smoothie happening many more mornings in 2013. After all, if I can have a PB&J twice in one day, why wouldn’t I? Psh, that’s what I thought.
Peanut Butter & Jelly Date Smoothie
- 4 whole deglet noor or medjool dates (pitted)
- 1 Tbsp creamy natural peanut butter
- 1 small banana (frozen without the peel and quartered)
- 1/2-3/4 cup unsweetened vanilla almond milk (depending on preferred thickness)
- 1/3 cup frozen blueberries
- 1 Tbsp flaxseed meal
- Add all ingredients to a blender and mix until well combined. Add more frozen blueberries or banana to make it thicker or more almond milk to thin it out.