I don’t know if we should be telling you this but…these cookies are inspired by dog biscuits.
It’s true! Allow us to explain.
We recently created a recipe for simple, nutritious peanut butter dog treats, and we of course had to sample them. “Not bad,” we thought. And we wondered what would happen if we sweetened them a bit and turned them into cookies.
Spoiler alert: MAJOR WIN. As in, one of our favorite and EASIEST pumpkin recipes to date! Let us show you how!
How To Make These Breakfast Cookies
This 30-minute recipe is gluten-free, vegan, naturally sweetened, and comes together in a food processor! Hooray for fewer dishes!
Vibrant pumpkin purée is blended with wholesome oats for plenty of fiber, peanut butter for healthy fats, roasted peanuts for crunch, maple syrup for natural sweetness, cinnamon and pumpkin pie spice for that fall flavor kick, and vanilla + salt for flavor balance.
For dry ingredients we kept it simple: JUST OATS! Oats are blended into a “loose flour” for ease. (And nutrition!) Just 1 cup of rolled oats provides more than 8 grams of fiber and 10 grams of protein!
Once blended, the texture should be slightly tacky and easy to form into cookie dough balls. Arrange on a parchment-lined baking sheet, slightly “smoosh,” and bake.
While the cookies are baking, we suggest you make a Pumpkin Spice Matcha Latte and curl up with a good book, or call a dear friend or family member. It’s the perfect “waiting for my cookies to bake” activity, if you ask us.
Or dancing. Dancing is always a good idea.
This is the type of cookie that makes you want to go back for another! The pumpkin spice flavor marries perfectly with nutty, salty peanut butter. And the roasted peanuts add a delicious crunch. Swoon!
We love these cookies with a cup of tea, coffee, or ice cold almond milk. Make a batch to enjoy throughout the week, or bring to a fall book club or party! Cozy vibes will ensue.
More Pumpkin Recipes!
- Miso Pumpkin Risotto with Crispy Sage
- Pumpkin Pie Overnight Oats
- Pumpkin Spice Cake Bites (No-Bake!)
- 1-Bowl Pumpkin Muffins (V+GF)
If you try this recipe, let us know! Leave a comment, rate it, and don’t forget to tag a photo @minimalistbaker on Instagram. Cheers, friends!
Pumpkin Peanut Butter Breakfast Cookies
- 1 cup rolled oats (ensure certified gluten-free as needed)
- 1/2 cup natural peanut butter
- 1/2 cup canned pumpkin purée
- 1/4 cup dry roasted peanuts (or sub chopped pecans)
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1 tsp pumpkin pie spice
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp sea salt (omit if using salted peanut butter/peanuts)
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F (176 C) and lightly grease or line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Add the oats to a food processor and process until finely ground — about 30-45 seconds. They don’t need to be as finely ground as oat flour but should be close. Add remaining ingredients and pulse until combined.
- Use a cookie scooper (like this one) or tablespoon to measure out 1 ½ Tbsp amounts of dough to gently roll into balls. Arrange on the baking sheet and press down gently with the palm of your hand or a lightly oiled glass to smash slightly. They won’t spread much, so it’s okay if there’s not much space between the cookies.
- Let cool fully before storing in an airtight container at room temperature for 1-2 days, in the refrigerator for up to 1 week, or in the freezer for up to 1 month.
Leave a Comment & Rating!