You guys, it’s November! (What!?)
Can we still pumpkin?
Please say yes. I have a lot more pumpkin enthusiasm to exert before this year is over.
This recipe is inspired by my favorite 1-Bowl Vegan Gluten-Free Pumpkin Bread! It’s so tender, crumbly, and bursting with pumpkin flavor I couldn’t resist turning it into muffins.
And the crumb topping is a take on my Vegan Banana Crumb Muffins, which is one of my favorite muffin recipes on the blog.
I took the best of both recipes to make these muffins, which are:
Vegan + gluten-free
& 1 bowl-required
I worked hard to perfect the tender yet crumbly texture of the interior of these muffins, and to infuse the perfect amount of sweetness and fall spice. Mission accomplished.
The crumb topping makes these muffins, in my opinion. A mix of coconut oil, muscovado or coconut sugar, pecans, and gluten-free flour creates the perfect crispy, sweet finish. Serious yum.
I hope you all love these muffins! They’re:
Slightly crisp from the topping
Kind of perfect
These would make the perfect take-along snack for work or school. They would also make a lovely holiday gift or dessert for fall parties. And since they’re refined sugar-free, gluten free, and vegan, everyone can enjoy.
If you give this recipe a try, let us know! Leave a comment, rate it, and take a picture and tag it #minimalistbaker on Instagram! We’d love to see what you come up with. Cheers, friends!
1-Bowl Vegan Pumpkin Muffins
- 1 ½ Tbsp flaxseed meal (to make flax eggs)
- 4 Tbsp water (to make flax eggs)
- 2 Tbsp mashed ripe banana
- 3/4 cup pumpkin puree
- 2/3 cup muscovado sugar* (packed // or sub organic brown sugar or coconut sugar)
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 1/4 tsp pumpkin pie spice*
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup almond meal (ground from raw almonds)
- 3/4 cup gluten-free rolled oats
- 1 cup gluten-free flour blend
CRUMBLE TOP optional
- 3 Tbsp muscovado sugar (or sub organic brown sugar, organic cane sugar, or coconut sugar)
- 3 1/2 Tbsp gluten-free flour blend
- 2 Tbsp roughly chopped pecans, pepitas, or walnuts
- 1 1/4 Tbsp coconut oil
- 1 pinch each cinnamon + pumpkin pie spice
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (174 C) and lightly grease a standard size muffin tin (will make 9-10 muffins as original recipe is written // adjust if altering batch size). Dust with gluten free flour and shake out excess.
- Prepare flax eggs by mixing flaxseed meal and water in a large mixing bowl. Let set for 5 minutes.
- Add banana and mash, leaving just a bit of texture.
- Add pumpkin purée, muscovado sugar, maple syrup, olive oil, and vanilla extract and whisk for one minute.
- Stir in baking soda, salt, cinnamon, and pumpkin pie spice, and mix. Add water and whisk once more.
- Add almond meal, gluten-free oats, and gluten-free flour blend and stir until just combined. The batter should be thick and scoopable.
- Divide batter evenly among 9-10 muffin tins (amount as original recipe is written // adjust if altering batch size), filling all the way full (I like big muffins!).
- Quickly rinse your mixing bowl and then add crumble ingredients. Mash ingredients together with a fork or your hands until crumbly like wet sand. Generously top muffins with streusel.
- Bake for 27-32 minutes or until tops are golden brown and a toothpick or knife comes out completely clean. It’s better to slightly over-bake these than under-bake because the gluten-free flour blend takes longer to cook all the way through.
- Let cool for 5 minutes in the muffin tin, then gently remove and cool completely on a cooling rack. Enjoy warm or at room temperature.
- Once completely cooled, store in a covered container at room temp for 3-4 days, though best when fresh. Freeze for longer term storage.
*If you don’t have pumpkin pie spice, use this DIY blend: 2 tsp ground cinnamon, 2 tsp ground ginger, 1 tsp ground nutmeg, 1/2 tsp ground cloves.
*Nutrition information is a rough estimate calculated with crumb topping.
*Recipe adapted from my 1-Bowl Vegan Pumpkin Bread and my Vegan Banana Crumb Muffins.