Is it just us or is eggplant totally misunderstood!? If you’re in the camp of only experiencing eggplant as a sad and soggy addition to mealtime, fear not, we have just the thing: perfect oven-roasted eggplant! It’s easy to prepare (just 3 ingredients, 30 minutes, and 1 pan required) and results in an addictive crispiness and caramelization. We had a hard time not snacking the whole batch right out of the pan!
How to Roast Eggplant
Roasting is our go-to method for eggplant because it’s quick and easy, hands-off, and seriously delicious! The eggplant can be cut into cubes, quarter-moons, slices, and more. But our favorite? Cubes!
Cubing the eggplant allows it to fit comfortably on just one baking sheet without crowding. And that means it gets golden brown and caramelized instead of soggy!
The other trick for perfect roasted eggplant? Cooking it at a high temperature (425 F / 218 C) for enough time (25-30 minutes) to give it a browned exterior and tender interior. Just look at those cubed purple beauties!
We hope you LOVE this oven-roasted eggplant! It’s:
& Super snack-able!
What To Do With Roasted Eggplant
Not sure how to use it? Don’t worry — it’s hard to go wrong!
Roasted eggplant goes well with nearly any main, especially Mediterranean-inspired and Italian-inspired dishes. It’s also delicious in wraps, bowls, and salads, or tossed with pasta. Eggplant knows no bounds!
More Eggplant Recipes
- Easy Vegan Moussaka
- Mini Crispy Eggplant Pizzas
- Moroccan-Spiced Eggplant and Tomato Stew
- Crispy Gluten-Free Eggplant Parmesan
If you try this recipe, let us know! Leave a comment, rate it, and don’t forget to tag a photo #minimalistbaker on Instagram. Cheers, friends!
Perfect Roasted Eggplant (Tender, Caramelized!)
- 1 medium eggplant, ends trimmed, cut into 1/2- to 1-inch cubes (1 medium eggplant yields ~4 cups cubed or 400g)
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- Preheat the oven to 425 F (218 C) and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Add cubed eggplant to the parchment-lined baking sheet. Drizzle evenly with olive oil and, working quickly, toss to evenly distribute the oil. Sprinkle evenly with the salt and toss once more. Roast on the center rack for 25-30 minutes or until tender with a lightly browned exterior, tossing around the 15-minute mark.
- Best when fresh. Leftovers will keep in a sealed container in the refrigerator for 1-2 days. Reheat in a cast iron skillet until warm. Not freezer friendly.