Ahhh, October is here and I couldn’t be more excited to get in cozy mode – a.k.a. living in sweaters and sweatpants and drinking all the turmeric tea tonic I can get my hands on. Let’s do this!
First of all, what is a tonic? Good question! It’s a ‘medicinal substance taken to give a feeling of vigor or well-being.’ (source)
I used to think of “tonic” as tonic water. But when I realized that it related more to a healing beverage or substance, I’ve been calling this recipe a “tonic” ever since!
This turmeric-ginger-lemon variety has been on repeat for some time now, so it was due time I share it with you all. It’s easy to make, requiring just 5 minutes, 3 ingredients, and 1 pot. Healthy and easy? Yeah, now we’re talking.
The base for this easy tonic is lemon juice, freshly grated ginger, and freshly grated turmeric. You can elect to add maple syrup, but I didn’t find it necessary! The only other thing I prefer is a little kick in the form of cayenne pepper.
So what makes this tonic healing? Good question.
Turmeric contains a compound called curcumin, which boasts amazing antioxidant and anti-inflammatory effects. (source)
Ginger is a natural anti-inflammatory and antioxidant that has been known to aid digestion and relieve nausea. (source)
Lemon is naturally detoxifying and alkalizing in the body, aids in healthy bowel movements, and boasts plenty of Vitamin C, which boosts the immune system. (source)
And cayenne stimulates circulation, boosts metabolism, naturally relieves pain, and can have an alkalizing effect in the body. (source)
See? Told ya so.
I hope you all LOVE this tonic! It’s:
Easy to make
& SO darn tasty
Make this tonic when you’re feeling down or sick, need to destress, need some help in the digestion department, have an upset stomach, or just need something cozy when it’s cold outside.
If you’re into healing foods, also be sure to check out my 5-Ingredient Detox Smoothie, 5-Minute Detox Salad, Turmeric Carrot Ginger Smoothie, Super Green Spirulina Smoothie, Ginger Colada Green Smoothie, Go-To Smoothie Bowl, and Golden Goddess Hummus!
If you try this recipe, let us know! Leave a comment, rate it, and don’t forget to tag a picture (boomerang or story) #minimalistbaker on Instagram so we can see. Cheers, friends!
- 1 Tbsp (packed // ~6 g) fresh grated turmeric (or ½ tsp ground, though fresh is best)
- 1 Tbsp (packed // ~6 g) fresh grated ginger (or ½ tsp ground, though fresh is best)
- 1 lemon, juiced (~3 Tbsp or 45 ml), plus leftover rind
- optional: 1-2 tsp maple syrup (can sub stevia or raw honey if not vegan)
- optional: Pinch cayenne pepper (or cracked black pepper which many readers have commented helps with the bioavailability of the turmeric!)
- 3 cups filtered water
- To a small saucepan, add turmeric, ginger, lemon juice and leftover lemon rind, maple syrup (optional), cayenne (optional), and filtered water. I personally didn't think it needed any sweetener, but sweeten to taste.
- Bring to a simmer (not a boil) over medium to medium-high heat (~3 minutes). Then turn off heat.
- Set a small strainer over serving glasses and divide between two mugs. Enjoy. If the tonic is too potent for you, dilute with more hot/warm water.
- Store (strained) leftovers in the refrigerator up to 2-3 days. Reheat on the stovetop until just warm.