It’s a great day, friends! Two of our favorite things have come together to create a new and delicious drink: The Golden Matcha Latte! After trying alllll the different dairy-free milks and various combinations of spices, we found it! A creamy, subtly sweet, spice-infused drink that happens to be a beautiful mustard green color (anybody else getting vintage vibes?!).
But seriously, all the best things about golden milk and matcha in one mug? Count us in! This antioxidant-rich drink is made in 1 blender or 1 pot with just 7 ingredients and 10 minutes required. It’s delicious hot or cold, so we’ll certainly be drinking it a latte. Let’s do this!
About Golden Milk and Matcha
Golden milk is a traditional Indian drink that has its roots in Ayurveda. In its simplest form it’s a blend of hot milk and ground turmeric (as in this traditional recipe). Also known as haldi doodh, it’s touted for its healing, anti-inflammatory properties. Learn more about golden milk here.
Matcha is a powdered green tea containing 137 times more antioxidants than brewed green tea (like, whoa). Both come from the tea plant (camellia sinensis), but with matcha, the entire leaf is consumed. It’s been consumed as part of Japanese tea ceremonies for centuries. Learn more about matcha and choosing a high-quality brand here.
The following plant-based recipe combines our love for these two powerful drinks into one!
How to Make a Golden Matcha Latte
This golden matcha latte includes the following:
- Dairy-free milk: We tested several options and preferred canned light coconut milk for a little richness and natural sweetness, plus water to keep the texture on the lighter side. The resulting consistency is similar to homemade coconut milk, which would work beautifully, too! Or you can sub your favorite dairy-free milk!
- Golden milk spices: Turmeric, cinnamon, ginger, black pepper, and (optional) cardamom.
- Matcha powder: If you’re new to matcha, check out our unbiased matcha review for brand recommendations!
- Sweetener of choice: Maple syrup is our favorite because it blends easily and adds nice flavor. Stevia also works well, just be careful not to overdo it! Honey, agave, and granulated sweeteners (like cane sugar) don’t blend as easily if making an iced version but will work if heating.
This golden matcha is delicious served hot or iced. You can make the hot version in either a milk frother or a saucepan. If making it in a saucepan, be sure to whisk the matcha separately (using a bamboo whisk) to prevent it from clumping.
For the iced version, simply blend up all the ingredients until smooth and frothy, then serve over ice.
If you’re making the iced version, it’s important to choose a smooth and creamy brand of coconut milk. Some brands are more chunky or oily, which will result in an unpleasant texture.
We hope you LOVE this golden matcha! It’s:
& SO delicious!
We love it hot as a cozy morning beverage or iced as an afternoon pick-me-up, especially paired with a sweet treat like our Gluten-Free Biscotti with Ginger & Chocolate, Crispy Gluten-Free Graham Crackers (Vegan), Dark Chocolate Golden Milk Macaroons, or 5-Ingredient Golden Milk Snack Bites.
More Nourishing Drink Recipes
- 5-Minute Mushroom Latte (2 Ways!)
- Minty Iced Matcha Latte
- Easy Masala Chai Recipe
- Adaptogenic Hot Chocolate (5 Minutes, Low Sugar)
If you try this recipe, let us know! Leave a comment, rate it, and don’t forget to tag a photo #minimalistbaker on Instagram. Cheers, friends!
Golden Matcha Latte (2 Ways!)
- 1/3 cup canned light coconut milk (choose a smooth, creamy brand // we like Whole Foods 365 brand // or sub other dairy-free milk)
- 3/4 cup water (replace with more dairy-free milk if not using canned coconut milk)
- 1/4 tsp ground turmeric
- 1/8 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/8 tsp ground ginger
- 1 pinch ground black pepper
- 1 pinch ground cardamom (optional)
- 1/2 – 1 Tbsp maple syrup* (or sub stevia to taste)
- 1/2 – 3/4 tsp matcha powder (find our matcha review here! // use the lesser amount if using a high-quality, potent brand)
- Add all ingredients except matcha powder to a small saucepan and warm gently, whisking frequently, until smooth and warmed. Whisk matcha (with a bamboo whisk if you have it) with 1 Tbsp (15 ml) hot water in a small bowl or mug until smooth then pour into the saucepan and whisk again to combine.
- Alternatively, you can add all ingredients to a milk frother (we like Breville) and turn on the Warm setting to mix and heat.
- Enjoy immediately. Shake or stir if the spices start settling to the bottom of the mug.
- Add all ingredients to a blender and blend until smooth and frothy — about 30-45 seconds.
- Enjoy immediately over ice. Shake or stir if the spices start settling to the bottom of the mug.
*If desired, you can add ~3/4 tsp of our Golden Milk Paste per serving in place of the spices and sweetener.
*Nutrition information is a rough estimate calculated with the lesser amount of maple syrup.
Leave a Comment & Rating!