Introducing the perfect side for your next Mediterranean-inspired meal: lemon rice! Our EASY vegan take on this savory, lemony, Greek dish is equally fluffy, flavorful, and SO versatile. It’s amazing with falafel, hummus, grilled veggies, Mediterranean bowls, and beyond!
Just 1 pot, 5 ingredients, and 25 minutes required to level up your go-to grain. Let us show you how!
If you’ve eaten at a Greek restaurant and wondered what’s in that delicious rice accompanying your main dish, you’re not alone! This recipe is inspired by many such experiences and a desire to make a homemade, plant-based version.
Our search for the origin story of this dish came up empty-handed, but common ingredients seem to include white rice, chicken broth, lemon juice, butter, salt, and a handful of other ingredients depending on the recipe.
How to Make Lemon Rice
Our 1-pot vegan version begins with sautéing garlic in olive oil until just fragrant and still light in color. You don’t want your garlic to get too browned as it can result in a bitter flavor.
Next, we add lemon zest and sauté briefly. Then comes white rice, water, and a generous amount of FRESH lemon juice!
This is not the time or place for bottled lemon juice, friends. If you need more convincing, Ken’s Greek Table has some additional words of wisdom: “For the love of Pete, do NOT use that pre-bottled lemon juice s***!”
Now that you’re on board with fresh lemons, there are just two more ingredients before we set it and forget it: 1) sea salt for overall flavor and 2) a little optional pinch of turmeric for a pretty yellow color!
After cooking in a saucepan for about 15-20 minutes, we turn off the heat, fluff with a fork, and let it rest until it becomes extra fluffy!
We hope you LOVE this lemon rice! It’s:
Quick & easy
& SO delicious!
What to Serve with Lemon Rice
It’s a versatile side that pairs well with our Classic Vegan Falafel (GF), Grilled Veggie Skewers with Chimichurri Sauce, Hummus From Scratch, and much more. It’s also so good with our Easy Mediterranean-Inspired Nourish Bowls!
More Mediterranean-Inspired Recipes
- Grain-Free Tabbouleh Salad (6 Ingredients!)
- Simple Baba Ganoush
- Mediterranean Lentil Dip
- Kale Falafel Hummus Wraps (30 Minutes!)
If you try this recipe, let us know! Leave a comment, rate it, and don’t forget to tag a photo @minimalistbaker on Instagram. Cheers, friends!
Easy Lemon Rice (Greek-Inspired)
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup dry white basmati rice*
- 2-3 tsp lemon zest
- 1 ¼ cups water
- 1/4 cup lemon juice (freshly squeezed)
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1 pinch ground turmeric (optional for color)
- Heat a medium saucepan over medium heat. Once hot, add olive oil and minced garlic. Sauté for about 1 minute until fragrant but still light in color.
- Stir in basmati rice and lemon zest. Sauté for 1 more minute.
- Add the water, lemon juice, salt, and optional turmeric. Stir well, turn the heat to high, and bring to a boil. Once boiling, cover and reduce the heat to low. Cook for 15-20 minutes until the rice is tender and the liquid is fully absorbed.
- Turn off the heat and let the rice rest for a minute or so before fluffing with a fork and serving. If the rice is slightly too toothsome, simply place the lid back on top of the pot and let it rest for 5-10 more minutes — the steam should fully cook it! It’s delicious served with Mediterranean-inspired dishes including falafel, hummus, grilled veggies, bowls, and more.
- Store leftover rice in a sealed container in the refrigerator for up to 4-5 days or in the freezer for up to 1 month. Reheat in the microwave or on the stovetop with a little oil or water until warm.
*Nutrition information is a rough estimate calculated without optional ingredients.
*Loosely adapted from Damn Spicy’s Greek Lemon Rice.