This salad is winter comfort in a bowl. Warm roasted root veggies, crispy quinoa, and a tangy balsamic dressing combine for a nourishing salad so tasty it’ll make you crave kale!
Bonus? It comes together in just 30 minutes when using pre-cooked grains. Let us show you how it’s done!
In the spirit of keeping things COZY, this quinoa and kale salad begins with roasting veggies to add warmth and sweetness. We love bell pepper, carrots, onions, and beets for a vibrant array of colors and nutrients, but feel free to swap in your favorite root veggies!
Next comes leftover cooked quinoa and sliced shiitake mushrooms seasoned with coconut aminos for sweetness and depth. Baking in the oven makes the quinoa crispy (YUM, it’s a quinoa game-changer!), and the mushrooms become slightly caramelized.
While those are in the oven, we massage the kale with balsamic vinegar, olive oil, tahini, salt, pepper, and garlic powder. It adds so much flavor, doubles as a dressing, and helps turn normally fibrous kale into a tender, easier-to-digest green!
All that’s left is adding the roasted veggies, quinoa, and mushrooms and garnishing with your choice of toppings. We love avocado for richness, toasted almonds (or other nuts/seeds) for crunch, and vegan parmesan cheese for saltiness.
We hope you LOVE this roasted vegetable & quinoa kale salad! It’s:
& SO delicious!
More Delicious Recipes Using Kale
- 1-Pot Kale Sweet Potato Curry
- Hearty Kale Salad with Chipotle Pecan Pesto
- Cheesy Roasted Broccoli Chickpea Kale Salad
- Garlicky Sautéed Greens
If you try this recipe, let us know! Leave a comment, rate it, and don’t forget to tag a photo @minimalistbaker on Instagram. Cheers, friends!
Crispy Quinoa & Roasted Vegetable Kale Salad
- 2 large carrots, peeled and sliced into 1/4-inch rounds (2 large carrots yield ~1/3 cup or 84 g)
- 1 medium red bell pepper, sliced into uniform bite-size pieces (~1/2 inch) (1 pepper yields ~3/4 cup or 190 g)
- 1/2 cup sliced red onion (1/4-inch wide half circles)
- 1/2 cup diced beet (1/2-inch cubes // or sub sweet potato or more carrot)
- 1-2 Tbsp avocado or olive oil (enough to coat veggies well)
- 2 tsp dried Italian herb seasoning (e.g., oregano, marjoram, thyme, rosemary, basil, sage)
- 1 tsp red pepper flakes (optional)
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp each sea salt + black pepper
QUINOA + MUSHROOMS
- 1 cup cooked, cooled quinoa (or sub other grain of choice)
- 1 ⅓ cup sliced shiitake mushrooms
- 1-2 tsp avocado or olive oil
- 2 Tbsp coconut aminos
SALAD + DRESSING
FOR TOPPING optional but so good
- 1/2 ripe avocado, diced
- 1/4 cup slivered toasted almonds (or other nut / seed of choice, such as pepitas or pistachios)
- 1 Tbsp hemp seeds
- Vegan Parmesan Cheese
- Preheat your oven to 375 degrees F (190 C) and line two small baking sheets with parchment paper.
- To one baking sheet, add the chopped carrots, bell pepper, onion, and beet. Toss the vegetables with 2 Tbsp of oil (adjust if altering batch size), Italian herbs, red pepper flakes (optional), garlic powder, salt, and pepper.
- To the second baking sheet, add the cooked, cooled quinoa and sliced shiitake mushrooms. Toss with 2 tsp of oil (adjust if altering batch size) and coconut aminos. Roast the veggies and quinoa for ~20 minutes or until the vegetables are tender and golden brown and the quinoa is crispy. Toss as needed to ensure even cooking.
- To your serving bowl or a mixing bowl, add chopped kale, balsamic vinegar, olive oil, tahini, salt, black pepper, and garlic powder. Massage for 1-2 minutes to combine and slightly tenderize the kale. Set aside.
- To serve, top the kale salad with the crispy quinoa and mushrooms, roasted vegetables, and desired additional toppings, such as avocado, hemp seeds, toasted almonds, and vegan parmesan cheese (all optional).
- Enjoy right away or store leftovers in the refrigerator for up to 24 hours, or 2-3 days if leaving out the avocado.