If you’ve never tried crispy CHEESY roasted broccoli, you’re in for a treat.
Especially when it’s paired with crispy roasted chickpeas, citrus-massaged kale (yeah, we said it), and our 5-minute SMOKY Chipotle Dressing!
Friends, let us show you how easy this 30-minute dish is!
The first step is to roast the broccoli and chickpeas on a large baking sheet.
The broccoli is seasoned with avocado oil, salt, and pepper, then topped with nutritional yeast for cheesy flavor!
Chickpeas get coated in avocado oil, salt, and a blend of smoky spices (cumin, smoked paprika, and chili powder). Next, into the oven they go for about 20 minutes or until crispy and browned!
While the chickpeas and broccoli are cooking, the kale is massaged with lime juice, sea salt, chili powder, and maple syrup. This helps it soften and infuses it with flavor.
Then you’re ready for assembly! The roasted chickpeas and broccoli are added to the massaged kale along with carrots for sweetness, avocado for richness, and sunflower seeds for a little crunch.
For dressing, you can choose either our 5-Minute Smoky Chipotle Dressing or Quick Ginger Garlic Miso Tahini Dressing. Both are delicious, but we especially love the smokiness of the chipotle with this salad!
We hope you LOVE this kale salad! It’s:
More Kale Salad Recipes
- Easy Massaged Kale Salad (15 Minutes!)
- Abundance Kale Salad with Tahini Dressing
- 20-Minute Asian Kale Salad
- Curry-Roasted Vegetable & Lentil Kale Salad
If you try this recipe, let us know! Leave a comment, rate it, and don’t forget to tag a photo #minimalistbaker on Instagram. Cheers, friends!
Cheesy Roasted Broccoli & Chickpea Kale Salad
- 1 large head broccoli, chopped into medium florets (~3 heaping cups)
- 1 Tbsp avocado oil
- 1 healthy pinch each sea salt and black pepper
- 1-2 Tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1 15-oz can chickpeas, rinsed, drained, and dried
- 1 Tbsp avocado oil
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp chili powder (chili powder should contain a blend of spices, such as chili powder, oregano, cumin, and garlic)
- 1 large bundle curly or dinosaur kale, chopped (large bottom stalks removed)
- 3 Tbsp lime juice
- 1 healthy pinch sea salt
- 1/2 tsp chili powder (chili powder should contain a blend of spices, such as chili powder, oregano, cumin, and garlic)
- 1 tsp maple syrup
- 1 cup shredded carrots (~2 carrots)
- 1 ripe avocado, sliced
- 1/4 cup roasted or raw sunflower seeds (or sub other nut or seed)
- Heat oven to 400 degrees F (204 C) and line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Add the broccoli and drizzle with oil and top with salt, pepper, and nutritional yeast. Toss to combine and move to one side of the baking sheet.
- Add the rinsed, dried chickpeas to a mixing bowl and top with oil, salt, cumin, paprika, and chili powder. Toss to combine (they should be very well coated). Then add to the other side of the baking sheet. Bake for about 20 minutes or until broccoli and chickpeas are browned.
- In the meantime, add chopped kale to a serving bowl and top with lime, salt, chili powder, and maple syrup (trust us — we know it sounds weird). Massage for 1-2 minutes to infuse the spices and acidity into the greens. This paired with sweetness from the maple syrup makes the kale irresistible!
- Next, prep carrots and dressing of choice. We highly recommend the smoky chipotle dressing, but both options are delicious! Set aside.
- To assemble salad, top the kale with the shredded carrots, roasted broccoli and chickpeas, sliced avocado, and sunflower seeds. Toss with dressing or serve on the side.
- Best when fresh but leftovers keep in the refrigerator for up to 2-3 days (dressings will keep 4-5 days stored separately). No freezer friendly.