The summertime brings an abundance of cucumbers, and this creamy cucumber and onion salad is the perfect way to put them to use! The concept came to be when we hosted a German food night with friends and needed a side salad but wanted to keep it dairy-free. It’s quick and easy to throw together and perfect for warm weather gatherings. Let us show you how it’s done!
How to Make Creamy Cucumber Salad
The dressing for this creamy cucumber salad relies on a base of thick, tangy coconut yogurt to keep it dairy-free. Apple cider vinegar and lemon juice add additional tanginess, dijon mustard and garlic add zing, salt and pepper add more flavor, and maple syrup balances it all out.
The main ingredients in this salad (besides the creamy dressing) are red onion, cucumber, and fresh dill.
Red onion is the sweetest of the onions, making it the best option for salads. But if you’re looking for something even milder, you can soak the onion (and garlic) in boiling water to decrease its intensity.
Cucumbers are incredibly cooling and hydrating, making them perfect for the warmer months. They also supply antioxidants, fiber, vitamins K and C, magnesium, and potassium. And let’s not forget about their satisfying crunch!
Dill adds a fresh, herby element and is the perfect pairing for cucumbers!
We hope you LOVE this cucumber salad! It’s:
Quick & easy
& SO delicious!
It’s the perfect plant-based side for BBQs and beyond! Try it paired with our Easy Grillable Veggie Burgers, Simple French-Style Potato Salad, Creamy Roasted Red Pepper Tomato Soup, and/or Easy Zucchini Fritters.
More Cucumber Recipes
- Creamy Pineapple Cucumber Smoothie
- 6-Ingredient Vegan Tzatziki
- Quick Refrigerator Pickles
- Cucumber Cooler Cocktails
If you try this recipe, let us know! Leave a comment, rate it, and don’t forget to tag a photo #minimalistbaker on Instagram. Cheers, friends!
Creamy Vegan Cucumber Salad (German-Inspired)
- 2/3 cup finely diced red onion (or halved & thinly sliced with a mandolin* // ~1/2 medium onion as recipe is written)
- 1 large clove garlic, minced
- 1 cup unsweetened plain coconut yogurt (we like Culina)
- 1/2 tsp each sea salt and black pepper
- 2 Tbsp lemon juice (~ 1 medium lemon as recipe is written)
- 1 ½ Tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 2 tsp dijon mustard (or yellow mustard)
- 1-2 tsp maple syrup (to balance out the flavor)
- 1/4 cup finely chopped dill
- 1 medium cucumber, halved lengthwise, thinly sliced (~2 cups as recipe is written)
- In a medium mixing bowl, add all ingredients except for the dill and cucumber (so onion, garlic, coconut yogurt, salt, pepper, lemon juice, apple cider vinegar, mustard, and maple syrup). Mix the dressing until smooth. NOTE: For less intense onion/garlic flavor, you can soak the onion and garlic in boiling water for 5 minutes, then strain well and add to the mixing bowl.
- Add the dill and sliced cucumber and mix again until cucumber is well coated with dressing.
- Taste and adjust as needed, adding lemon juice or apple cider vinegar for acidity, maple syrup to balance the acidity, dill for herby flavor, or more cucumber for a less saucy dressing.
- Best when fresh. If preparing in advance, store dressing and cucumber separately in the refrigerator for up to 2-3 days. Not freezer friendly.
*Adapted from The Blond Cook.
*Nutrition information is a rough estimate.