I’ve been taking cucumbers for granted as the boring, flavorless vegetable I occasionally dip my hummus in. That is, until recently when I rediscovered their impressive health benefits.
Go grab a cucumber and let’s put half of it in a smoothie, and the other half on our face, shall we?
This 6-ingredient, 5-minute smoothie was inspired by the wonder food that is cucumber.
Cucumbers are important to add to your diet because they’re 95% water and naturally detoxify your body; are high in Vitamins A, B and C; and contain phytonutrients that provide anti-inflammatory, antioxidant, and anti-cancer effects.
They’re also a secret weapon for nails and hair, thanks to the nutrient silica, which helps them grow strong and shiny.
And because of their cooling and calming effect, they are excellent at calming stressed or sunburned skin and reviving puffy, dark under eyes – simply apply fresh sliced cucumber to soothe the affected area.
So whether you’re consuming cucumber or putting it on your face, the benefits are real, people.
I hope you all love this smoothie! It’s:
Naturally detoxifying (thanks to fiber!)
This would be the perfect smoothie to add to your weekly line-up for breakfast or post-workout snacks. Pineapple and banana add citrusy sweetness, coconut milk lends to a creamy base, lime zest and juice offer plenty of bright citrus notes, and cucumber adds a subtle earthy flavor with a slew of health benefits (see above!).
If you try this smoothie, let us know what you think! Leave a comment, rate it, and don’t forget to tag a picture #minimalistbaker on Instagram so we can see what you come up with. Cheers, friends!
Creamy Pineapple Cucumber Smoothie
- 1/2 cup sliced cucumber (skin on // organic when possible)
- 1 heaping cup cubed pineapple (if frozen, omit ice)
- 1/2 large ripe, peeled, frozen banana
- 1/4 cup light coconut milk*
- 1/2 cup filtered water
- 1 medium lime, zested + juiced (~1 tsp zest // 2 Tbsp (30 ml) juice per 1 lime)
- 1 large handful greens (spinach or kale // organic when possible)
- 2-4 ice cubes
- Add cucumber, pineapple, frozen banana, light coconut milk, water, lime zest, lime juice, greens, and ice cubes to a blender and blend on high until creamy and smooth, scraping down sides as needed.
- For a thicker smoothie, add more ice. For a thinner smoothie, add more liquid of choice. Taste and adjust flavor as needed, adding more lime juice or zest for acidity/brightness, banana or pineapple for sweetness, coconut milk for creaminess, and greens for more intense green color.
- Serve immediately. Leftovers will keep covered in the refrigerator up to 24 hours, though best when fresh.
*For added protein, add 1-2 Tbsp (amount as original recipe is written // adjust if altering batch size) hemp seeds or chia seeds, or your favorite neutral or vanilla-flavored protein powder. I don't have any favorite powders at the moment, but Vega Viva Vanilla is the closest thing to palatable I've found.
*Nutrition information is a rough estimate.