Friends, do you ever wonder how restaurants transform seemingly simple salads and bowls into beautiful and complex dishes? Delicious dressings are one part of the answer, and crunchy toppings are the other! The solution for stepping up your salad game: Chili Lime Roasted Pepitas! Not only do they transform salads and bowls, but they’re also super snack-able!
These crunchy, roasty-toasty goodies happen to be oil-free and require just 1 pan, 5 ingredients, and 15 minutes to prepare! Say hello to endlessly versatile, absurdly easy, nutrient-packed seeds. Let us show you how it’s done!
What Are Pepitas?
The word “pepita” comes from the term pepita de calabaza which means “little seed of squash.” And it’s very fitting because pepitas are the seeds from a pumpkin or other type of squash (source). But unlike pumpkin seeds leftover from carving a pumpkin, pepitas are green and do not have a white shell around them as they’ve been hulled.
How to Roast Pepitas
The first step is to coat the pepitas in your favorite seasonings, plus something that helps them stick. For this version, we included tangy lime, sweet and sticky maple syrup, smoky chili powder, salt, and optional cayenne for some heat.
If you want to play around with the flavors, you could try curry powder, za’atar, or your favorite spice mix along with oil to help the spices stick and salt for added flavor. Or go for a sweet version with pumpkin pie spice, coconut oil, salt, and maple syrup!
Once the seeds are coated, bake them for 7-12 minutes at 300 F (150 C) or until they become darker in color and puff up slightly, giving them a super satisfying crunch!
We hope you LOVE these roasted pepitas! They’re:
Sweet & savory
Quick & easy
& Super versatile!
More Delicious Recipes with Pepitas
- Minty Watermelon Cucumber Salad (Vegan)
- Baked Quinoa Black Bean Falafel
- Vegan Pumpkin Caramels
- Pumpkin Maple Pecan Granola
If you try this recipe, let us know! Leave a comment, rate it, and don’t forget to tag a photo #minimalistbaker on Instagram. Cheers, friends!
Chili Lime Roasted Pepitas (5 Ingredients!)
- 1 cup pepitas (raw shelled pumpkin seeds)
- 1 ½ Tbsp lime juice
- 1 ½ tsp maple syrup
- 2 tsp chili powder blend (NOT chili flakes or cayenne pepper)
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1/8 – 1/4 tsp cayenne (optional)
- Preheat oven to 300 F (150 C) and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- To the prepared baking sheet, add all ingredients (pepitas, lime juice, maple syrup, chili powder, sea salt, and cayenne (optional)). Mix with clean hands or a wooden spoon to evenly coat the pepitas with spices. Spread them into a relatively even layer — it’s okay if they’re not perfectly even (the result will be tasty pepita clusters)!
- Bake for 7-12 minutes or until the pepitas are lightly browned, stirring halfway. Remove from the oven and let cool slightly. The flavors will intensify as they cool.
- Let cool completely before storing in a sealed container at room temperature for 4-5 days or in the refrigerator or freezer for up to 1 month.
*Inspired by Foolproof Living.