In the small town I grew up in, there was one main road down the middle of town and when we got a Sonic put in next to the gas station, it was a big deal. Watch out everybody, we’re big city now.
My favorite drink has always has been a cherry limeade. So refreshing, bubbly and perfectly tart and sweet. I especially love the cherry and squeezed limes at the bottom to nosh on once the drink is gone.
I don’t frequent Sonic much anymore (unless we get a serious craving for Peach Iced Tea), but a craving for something cherry and lime occasionally still persists. Enter: This smoothie. Five ingredients, tart and sweet, and perfect as a healthy breakfast on the go.
It starts with loads of cherries and fresh lime juice for that quintessential cherry limeade flavor. Ripe nectarine adds creamy texture and a sweet touch that’s neutral but complements the cherries perfectly. Almond milk adds creaminess, while ice chills everything down.
It’s like a breakfast cherry limeade to-go. Yes, please.
This smoothie is like summertime in a glass. It’s
Vegan and gluten free
And highly portable
Most mornings we have a smoothie of some form for breakfast and I definitely see this making an appearance in our weekly rotation. Not to mention, it would make an awesome popsicle if you had leftovers. Just sayin’.
Hope you enjoy this smoothie as much as we have. If you make it, you know what to do: Snap a picture and tag it #minimalistbaker on Instagram so we can be cherry limeade buds. OK? K. Cheers!
- 1 ripe nectarine or peach, sliced
- 1 heaping cup fresh or frozen cherries (add less ice if using frozen)
- 3/4 cup almond milk (or sub water or other non-dairy milk)
- 1-2 limes, juiced (depending on preferred tartness)
- Handful of ice
- 1 Tbsp chia seeds
- 1 handful of spinach
- Add all ingredients to a blender and blend until creamy and smooth. Taste and adjust flavors as needed, adding more cherries for sweetness and more lime for tart.
- Yields 2 small smoothies or one large smoothie. Optional: Freeze leftovers into popsicles.