My very favorite kind of muffin on the planet is banana walnut. Always has been, (likely) always will be. The only flavor that comes close is Double Chocolate Chip (which I’m officially adding to my gluten-free experimentation list!).
I’ve made Gluten-Free Banana Bread for the blog but have yet to deliver on a solid muffin recipe. That had to change.
This recipe is simple, requiring basic ingredients and just 1 bowl to prepare!
I hope you all LOVE these muffins! They’re:
Easy to make
& Kind of perfect
These are officially my favorite banana muffin! The inside is moist and tender while the outside is perfectly crumbly and studded with roasted walnuts. Swoon!
They’re delicious as is or slathered in vegan butter, but they would be even better served alongside a Ginger Latte, Hot Cocoa, or even a Green Smoothie Bowl for a hearty breakfast. If you are looking for a non gluten-free muffin, try my Vegan Banana Nut Muffins for 2 (!) or my Vegan Banana Crumb Muffins!
If you try this recipe, let us know! We love hearing your feedback. Leave a comment, rate it, and tag a photo #minimalistbaker on Instagram. Cheers!
1-Bowl Vegan Banana Nut Muffins (GF)
- 1 Tbsp flaxseed meal (to make a flax egg)
- 2 ½ Tbsp water (to make a flax egg)
- 3 medium ripe bananas (~1 1/2 cups as original recipe is written)
- 1 Tbsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 3 Tbsp grape seed or olive oil
- 1/4 cup coconut sugar or organic cane sugar
- 1/4 cup packed organic brown sugar
- 2 1/2 Tbsp maple syrup
- 3/4 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon (optional)
- 3/4 cup unsweetened plain almond milk (or other dairy-free milk)
- 1 1/4 cup almond meal (I used half almond flour for added fluffiness)
- 1 1/4 cup gluten-free flour blend*
- 1 1/4 cup gluten-free oats
- 1 cup roughly chopped walnuts or pecans (optional)
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 C) and line a standard muffin tin with paper baking cups. (I find the unbleached, brown paper liners to work best – they don’t stick to the muffins when peeling.)
- In a large mixing bowl, prepare the flax egg by mixing flaxseed meal and water together. Wait 5 minutes. Then add banana, baking powder, and baking soda and mash until only small chunks remain.
- Add vanilla, oil, coconut sugar, brown sugar, maple syrup, sea salt, and cinnamon (optional) and whisk vigorously to combine. Add almond milk and whisk once more to combine.
- Add almond meal, gluten-free flour blend, and oats and stir until just combined. Then divide batter between muffin tins, filling all the way full – there should be 12 muffins (amount as original recipe is written // adjust if altering batch size).
- Top with walnuts (optional). In place of walnuts, you can also substitute more rolled oats and/or a sprinkle of organic cane sugar.
- Bake for 28-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center of a muffin comes out clean and the edges are dark golden brown. Remove from oven and let cool in the tin for 5 minutes. Then remove from tin and let cool completely on a cooling rack. The wrappers peel away easier and the muffin texture is best when completely cooled.
- Serve with vegan butter, nut butter, or as is. Store leftovers in a covered container for up to 4 days or in the freezer up to 1 month.
*Nutrition information is a rough estimate calculated with walnuts and without additional toppings (i.e. vegan butter).
*Recipe adapted from my 1-Bowl Vegan GF Nutella Banana Bread!
*For all substitution inquiries, please visit my Recipe FAQ page!