How can mango get any more delicious, you ask?
Put some chili powder on it and experience a serious flavor bomb.
Trust me, it’s science.
This fruit salad is inspired by three things:
1) The mango served with chili powder at Indian restaurants.
2) My love of all things spicy-sweet.
3) John’s suggestion to make a spicy fruit salad.
I know, my husband’s a smartie. It’s almost like he knows me after 5 years of marriage.
This salad is simple, requiring less than 10 ingredients and just 15 minutes to prepare.
It’s also delicious. Ripe summer fruit is dressed with a simple mixture of lime juice and maple syrup, then tossed with a pinch of sea salt and chili powder.
Chili powder may seem like an unlikely addition to fruit. But if you’re a spicy-sweet lover like me, you’ll love this combination!
This fruit salad is beckoning to be made. It’s:
& Wonderfully delicious
Make this dish to take along to your next BBQ or dinner party, or alongside fresh summer meals like Quinoa Spring Rolls, Spicy Plantain and Black Bean Tacos, Strawberry Arugula Salad, or a Chickpea Sunflower Sandwich!
If you give it a try, let us know what you think by leaving a comment and rating it. It’s so helpful for us and other readers. And don’t forget to take a picture and tag it #minimalistbaker on Instagram. We’d love to see what you come up with. Cheers, friends!
- 2 ripe mangos, peeled and cubed
- 4 kiwi, peeled and sliced or quartered
- 1 cup (166 g) sliced strawberries
- 1 cup (148 g) blueberries
- 1 small lime, juiced (~2 Tbsp, 30 ml)
- optional: 1 Tbsp (15 ml) maple syrup or agave nectar
- 1/4 tsp chili powder
- pinch sea salt
- optional: 1 ounce ( ml) silver tequila or white rum
- Add all fruit to a large mixing/serving bowl.
- Add lime juice and maple syrup (optional depending on ripeness of fruit) to a small mixing bowl and whisk to combine. Then pour over fruit and gently toss to coat.
- Add sea salt, then sprinkle on chili powder a little at a time, gently folding/stirring the salad as you go. I found 1/4 tsp to be the perfect amount, but add more or less depending on preference.
- Taste and adjust seasonings, adding more chili powder, maple syrup, or lime juice as needed. Add tequila or white rum for a boozy kick (optional).
- Serve immediately, or cover and chill for 2-3 days (sometimes longer depending on freshness of fruit). See notes for freezing tip.
*Nutrition information is a rough estimate for 1 of 6 servings, calculated with maple syrup and without rum or tequila.