All of that fun goes into this fantastic salad. Hello, summer!
Portland is experiencing a serious heat wave that’s only been intensified by our lack of air conditioning.
I’m trying to keep my oven off as much as possible, but my one exception is these brown sugar roasted pecans. They’re crispy, salty-sweet, and toast up beautifully while you prepare the rest of your salad. And trust me, you’re gonna want this salad.
This recipe is simple, requiring just 30 minutes and right around 10 ingredients (give or take a hemp seed).
Despite being light and fresh, pecans add serious heartiness and healthy fats while hemp seeds provide all 20 amino acids (including all 9 essential amino acids our bodies can’t produce) and 10 grams of protein!
If you give this recipe a try, let us know what you think! Leave a comment and rate it, and don’t forget to tag a picture #minimalistbaker on Instagram so we can see. Cheers, friends!
- 1/2 cup (50 g) raw pecan halves
- 1 1/2 Tbsp (23 ml) coconut oil, melted (or sub vegan butter or olive oil)
- 1 Tbsp (12 g) coconut sugar, brown sugar, or cane sugar
- Pinch each sea salt, ground cinnamon and cayenne pepper
- 3 Tbsp olive oil, divided
- 2 shallots (60 g), thinly sliced
- Pinch each sea salt and pepper (~1/8th tsp)
- 1/3 cup (80 ml) balsamic vinegar
- 1-2 Tbsp (15-30 ml) maple syrup (or sub other sweetener of choice)
- 1 1/2 cups (180 g) hulled quartered strawberries (organic when possible)
- 7 ounces (198 g) arugula (organic when possible)
- 3 Tbsp (30 g) hemp seeds (or sub 1/4 cup cooked quinoa)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (176 C) and place pecans on a foil- or parchment-lined baking sheet. Roast for 8 minutes.
- In the meantime, add coconut oil, coconut sugar, sea salt, cinnamon and cayenne pepper to a small mixing bowl and whisk to combine.
- Remove toasted pecans from oven and toss with spice mixture. Spread back onto the baking sheet and toast for another 4-7 minutes or until fragrant and golden brown, being careful not to burn.
- Once out of the oven, let cool briefly and then sample to test flavor. Toss with a touch more salt or coconut sugar as needed. Set aside to cool.
- While the pecans are roasting, heat a small saucepan over medium heat. Once hot, add 1 Tbsp olive oil and shallot. Sauté until soft and fragrant - 3-4 minutes. Remove from heat and set aside to cool slightly.
- Add shallot to blender or food processor with balsamic vinegar, 2 Tbsp olive oil, maple syrup and a pinch each salt and pepper. Blend until completely pureed. Taste and adjust seasonings as needed.
- Add arugula, hemp seeds, strawberries and most of the roasted pecans to a large mixing bowl and top with 2-3 Tbsp dressing. Gently toss to combine.
- Plate salad and garnish with remaining pecans. Serve additional dressing on the side. Serves 2 as an entrée or 4 as a side dish. Best when fresh.