Raise your hand if corn is your favorite summer food (besides ice cream, obviously)?
Corn lovers, this is the dip for you. It’s spicy-sweet, cheesy, ridiculously creamy, and perfect on a tortilla chip.
Ready your chips, kids, we’re makin’ dip.
This dip was inspired by my Summer Corn and Cotija Cheese dip from way, way back. I’ve been craving a cheesy corn dip like this recently, and figured it was due time to create a plant-based version.
This recipe is simple, requiring just 10 ingredients to prepare, and it comes together in a little over an hour.
The sauce is cashew-based and super easy to make.
Simply soak cashews and blend with garlic, cream cheese, nutritional yeast, and cumin! The result is a creamy, cheesy, smoky, Mexican-inspired cheese that perfectly complements the corn and jalapeño.
I hope you all love this dip! It’s:
Spicy from the jalapeño
Sweet from the corn
This dip would make the perfect appetizer or side dish on Mexican night, and would be especially great for summer BBQs since it can be made ahead of time and heated up before serving. It’s just as tasty hot as it is at room temperature, making it an ideal snack for dinner parties.
If you try this dip, let us know! Leave a comment, rate it, and don’t forget to tag your picture #minimalistbaker on Instagram! We’d love to see what you come up with. Cheers, friends!
- 2 Tbsp (30 g) olive oil, divided
- 1 shallot, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced (2 Tbsp or 12 g)
- 3 cups (498 g) fresh corn, cut off the cob (~4 ears | or sub canned (drained))
- Sea salt and ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 jalapeño, minced (seeds / stem removed)
- 8 ounces (227 g) vegan cream cheese*
- 2/3 cup (80 g) raw cashews
- 2-3 Tbsp (6-9 g) nutritional yeast, plus more to taste
- 3/4 tsp ground cumin
- 4-6 Tbsp (60-90 ml) water (or sub unsweetened plain almond milk for creamier result)
- Lime wedges
- Tortilla chips or veggies
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 C).
- Heat a cast iron or oven-safe skillet over medium heat. Add 1 Tbsp olive oil, shallot and garlic. Stir constantly to prevent burning.
- Add corn, a healthy pinch each sea salt and pepper and stir. Cook for 3-5 minutes until shallots appear softened and the corn is slightly darker in color. Add the jalapeños in the last minute of cooking, then remove from heat and set aside.
- To a blender, add vegan cream cheese, soaked (drained) cashews, nutritional yeast, cumin, 4 Tbsp (60 ml) water or almond milk, remaining 1 Tbsp olive oil, and a healthy pinch each salt and pepper. Blend on high, scraping down sides as needed, until creamy and smooth. Add only enough water or almond milk to encourage blending. You want it very creamy, thick, and pourable.
- Taste and adjust seasonings as needed, adding more cumin for smokiness, nutritional yeast for cheesiness, and salt and pepper for overall flavor.
- Pour the sauce into the skillet with the corn mixture (see photo). Stir until well combined, then smooth down with a spoon or spatula.
- Bake for 10-13 minutes or until hot and bubbly. Remove from oven (carefully, with an oven mitt!), and serve immediately with veggies or tortilla chips. Cilantro and lime juice make a colorful and delicious garnish.
- Best when fresh, though leftover dip can be stored in the refrigerator up to 3-4 days. Reheat in a 350 degree F (176 C) oven (or in the microwave) until completely warmed through.
* You can make this dip up to 2 days ahead of time (simply prepare right up until the baking stage and then cover and refrigerate) and then bake before serving. Cook at 375 degrees F (190 C) for roughly 15-20 minutes, or until hot and bubbly.
*Nutrition information is a rough estimate for 1 of 6 servings without any additional toppings or sides.