It’s about that time for holiday parties galore, and for that, you need a dip! If I’m invited to your gathering, this is definitely the one I’m bringing.
I take my appetizers seriously.
This cheesy kale and spinach dip is my vegan take on classic spinach and artichoke dip, which is typically laden with cheese – my former love.
But since we’ve broken up, I’ve replaced the cheese-shaped hole in my heart with cashew cream and vegan parmesan and haven’t looked back. Who needs the real thing when the substitutes are healthier and taste amazing? That’s what I say.
This dip requires just 9 ingredients – hooray! And it comes together in about 30 minutes (once your cashews are soaked).
Plus, it has all my loves:
All that’s missing is a toasty baguette for scooping. Don’t worry – we’ll get to that.
Once you’ve mixed your ingredients together it just takes a quick bake in the oven to get it piping hot and ready for serving.
I preferred a toasted baguette, but you could also serve it with veggies, tortilla chips, or any other crackers of choice.
This dip is amazing! It’s
Loaded with greens
& Perfect for holiday parties
If you make this dip, we hope you love it! As always, share a picture on Instagram with the #minimalistbaker if you do! We’d love to see this dip in action.
Creamy Kale and Spinach Dip
- 1 1/4 cups cashews (soaked overnight or in boiling hot water for 1 hour // then thoroughly drained)
- 2 Tbsp olive oil (divided)
- 1/2 cup unsweetened plain almond milk (sub up to half with water)
- 4-6 Tbsp nutritional yeast (to taste)
- 1 tsp sea salt (divided)
- 3 cloves garlic (minced)
- 1 10-ounce package frozen chopped spinach (thawed and squeeze-drained)
- 3 cups kale (finely chopped // or just double up on spinach)
- 1/4 cup Vegan Parmesan Cheese
- Veggies, crackers, chips, or 1/2 baguette sliced and toasted (optional // for serving)
- If you haven’t soaked your cashews yet, do so the night before in room temperature water, or 1 hour before in very hot water. Drain thoroughly.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (176 C) and lightly grease a small, oven-safe serving dish (see photo for size reference).
- Add soaked and drained cashews to a blender with almond milk and puree into a cream. Add 1/4 cup nutritional yeast and 3/4 tsp sea salt (amounts as original recipe is written // adjust if altering batch size) and mix once more. Taste and adjust seasonings as needed. You want it pretty cheesy and well-salted, so I added the full 6 Tbsp nutritional yeast (amount as original recipe is written // adjust if altering batch size). Set aside.
- In a large skillet over medium heat, sauté garlic in 1 Tbsp olive oil (amount as original recipe is written // adjust if altering batch size) and then add spinach and kale. Season with a healthy pinch (1/4 tsp as original recipe is written // adjust if altering batch size) of sea salt and black pepper and cook for 5 minutes or until wilted, then remove from heat.
- Add 3/4 of the cashew cream (see photo) and toss to combine. If it can take more, add it in. Otherwise, reserve the rest for pasta or other uses. Add 2 Tbsp vegan parmesan cheese for additional texture/flavor and stir.
- Add to prepared baking dish and top with remaining vegan parmesan.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes, or until warmed through and sightly browned on top.
- Before serving, top with additional vegan parmesan cheese if desired. Other add-ons might include red pepper flake or hemp seeds.
- Serve with assorted vegetables, tortilla chips, crackers, or toasted baguette. Store leftovers covered in the fridge for up to a few days, though best when fresh.
Leave a Comment & Rating!