Oh mah gosh. This dip? Where do I even start…
The star of this dip is beautiful yellow corn, which is perfect for summer. Corn is officially my muse at the moment.
Since making my creamy Brussels Sprout and Shallot dip last fall, I have been kind of smitten with the idea of mixing cheesy things with vegetable things in a cast iron skillet. That’s really how this dip came to be.
The ingredients are simple, as always: fresh corn, shallot, garlic, light cream cheese, sour cream (or Greek yogurt) and Mexican cotija cheese. From start to finish this dip takes about 30 minutes and requires just 1 bowl and a baking dish. Holy cow, this shouldn’t be that easy BUT IT IS.
How does it taste?
Creamy, cheesy, salty, and perfect on a tortilla chip, but somehow still light and summery. In other words, it is perfect.
We took this batch straight over to our friends’ house for dinner one night last week and I knew they would like it so much that I planned to leave all the leftovers. A few chip-fuls in and I knew I was right. In fact, it was nearly empty by the time we left.
Try this dip! We know you’ll love it. And if you do, share your picture with us on Instagram! We love to see how our recipes turn out in your kitchen. Then, we can be like Internet besties. How rad is that?
Summer Corn and Cotija Cheese Dip
- 2 Tbsp olive oil (divided)
- 3 cups fresh corn (cut off the cob // 3 ears yield ~3 cups)
- 1 medium shallot (chopped)
- 1 clove garlic (minced)
- 1/2 cup light sour cream or plain Greek yogurt
- 4 ounces 1/3-fat cream cheese (4 ounces = 1/2 package)
- 1 cup grated cotija cheese (more for topping)
- 1/4 tsp each sea salt and ground black pepper
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 C).
- Heat a cast iron or oven-safe skillet over medium heat. Add 1/2 of the olive oil (1 Tbsp as original recipe is written), and the shallot and garlic. Stir constantly to prevent burning.
- Add corn, sea salt and pepper and stir. Cook for 5 minutes until shallots appear softened and the corn is slightly darker in color. Then remove from heat.
- In a large bowl mix together sour cream, cream cheese, and cotija and stir. Add corn mixture to the bowl and stir until well combined.
- Use remaining olive oil (1 Tbsp as original recipe is written) to lightly grease the cast iron so the dip doesn’t stick. Spoon dip back into the skillet and bake for 11-13 minutes or until hot and bubbly.
- Serve with veggies, tortilla chips, crackers or baguette bread. Tortilla chips were my favorite.