For a while now I’ve been seeing the blueberry maple flavor combination pop up, and every time I do I start to salivate immediately. Cakes, syrups, pancakes – it makes sense. The two just seem to be meant together much like peanut butter and basil (trust me, I know what I’m doing.)
But being the simplicity-obsessed person than I am, I knew I wanted to make a blueberry-maple recipe that was a bit less involved. Call it lazy, I call it uncomplicated. And since I have a protein shake most mornings on my walk to work, I thought it the perfect opportunity to put a creative spin on one of my favorite breakfasts.
Blueberry and maple are a perfect summer flavor combination, and when thrown into an ice-creamy health drink, the pairing tastes all the better. You can make this recipe vegan-friendly by opting for a non-dairy milk or yogurt base and protein powder. You can also throw in a big handful of spinach without it affecting the taste at all, which makes it even more of a well-balanced meal.
- 1/2 cup cottage cheese or low-fat yogurt (I use a mix of the two)
- 1 scoop vanilla protein powder (I use MRM rich vanilla)
- 1/2 cup frozen blueberries
- 1/4 - 1/2 teaspoon maple extract
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract (optional)
- 2 teaspoons flaxseed meal
- Sweetener of choice (I use 2 packets of stevia)
- 1 pinch of xantham gum (optional)
- 10-15 ice cubes + 1/4 cup water
- Place all of your ingredients in a blender and mix until well combined. If it appears too runny, add more ice. If it's too thick, add more water. Add more sweetener or extract at the end if the flavor isn't strong enough for your taste.
* I add a handful of raw spinach to mine for extra veggies without any change in flavor.
* Questions about substitutions, equipment, or troubleshooting? Check out our Recipe FAQ page.
This recipe was exactly what I was hoping for out of my blueberry and maple combination. Refreshing, perfectly sweet and adequately maple-y. I think this is love.