We all know that feeling when the need for pancakes strikes and there’s only one solution: make pancakes! Luckily, we’ve cracked the code with this whole grain vegan pancake mix so you can prep ahead of time and have a batch of pancakes ready in minutes!
This hearty and wholesome mix makes nutty, delicious pancakes that are sure to be a hit on your next weekend morning. Just 10 minutes and 6 ingredients required for the mix. And just a few more for a batch of pancakes. Let us show you how it’s done!
How to Make Whole Grain Pancake Mix
We’ll spare you the gory details of the trials, tribulations, and math that went into making this delicious mix.
At the end of the day, we found the perfect balance of whole wheat flour (nutritious and reliable), spelt flour (whole wheat’s nourishing and nuttier cousin), and whole rolled oats (we love the texture), plus a touch of coconut sugar (they are pancakes, after all) and baking powder (we need these puppies to rise)!
All that stands between you and this pancake mix is tossing the ingredients into a bowl and mixing them together — that’s it! We just made pancake mix (yay, friends!).
One of our favorite parts of recipes like this one is how giftable they are! Mix up a few batches of this, and you can pass a delicious and nutritious recipe on to your friends and family! It’s perfect for back-to-school, new parents, and beyond.
So what’s a girl gotta do to actually get a pancake from this mix (asking for a friend)? We’re so glad you asked!
How to Make the Pancakes
To make the pancake mix into pancakes, you simply need to add dairy-free milk, vanilla extract, and melted vegan butter (oil will work, but vegan butter helps these taste extra amazing). Then let the mixture rest for a few minutes to help the baking powder activate and the flour absorb the liquid. This ensures fluffy and delicious pancakes!
All that remains is to pour the batter into a pan, cook on both sides, and load on the toppings (peanut butter, berry compote, and maple syrup being our faves!). Who’s in?
We hope you LOVE this vegan pancake mix! It makes:
& Classic pancakes!
This pancake mix is the perfect solution for lazy weekends and beyond! For a more filling meal and protein boost, pair your pancakes with our Easy Vegan Sausage Links, Fluffy Vegan Scrambled Eggs, or Chocolate Protein Shake (Protein Powder-Free!).
More Vegan Pancake Recipes
If you try this recipe, let us know! Leave a comment, rate it, and don’t forget to tag a photo #minimalistbaker on Instagram. Cheers, friends!
Whole Grain Vegan Pancake Mix (6 Ingredients!)
- 1 cup spelt flour
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup rolled oats
- 1/4 cup coconut sugar (or sub organic cane sugar)
- 2 Tbsp baking powder
- 1 tsp sea salt
TO MAKE PANCAKES
- 3/4 cup almond milk (or other dairy-free milk)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 Tbsp oil or melted vegan butter (plus more for greasing pan)
- 1 cup pancake mix (from above)
- PANCAKE MIX: In a large mixing bowl, combine spelt flour, whole wheat flour, oats, coconut sugar, baking powder, and salt. Whisk to combine until very well incorporated. Store pancake mix in an airtight container in the pantry for up to 1 month or in the refrigerator or freezer for up to 3 months.
- PANCAKES: To make 5 pancakes, combine 3/4 cup (180 ml) almond milk, 1 tsp vanilla extract, and 2 Tbsp (30 ml) oil or melted vegan butter in a medium mixing bowl.
- Add 1 cup (130 g) dry pancake mix to the liquids and whisk to combine. Batter should be semi-thick and pourable. Set aside for 5-10 minutes to rest (don’t skip this — it helps make the pancakes fluffy and delicious!).
- Meanwhile, heat a griddle, non-stick pan, or cast iron skillet over medium heat. Grease the pan lightly with avocado oil or vegan butter. Using a 1/3-cup measuring cup, scoop the batter onto the hot pan and cook until the edges are dry and the center is holding bubbles (about two minutes). Flip and cook on the other side for about 1 minute or until nicely browned.
- Serve warm with vegan butter, maple syrup, berry compote, peanut butter, or any of your favorite toppings!
- Store leftover (cooled) pancakes in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 2-3 days, or in the freezer for several weeks. Reheat in the toaster oven, microwave, or oven until hot.
*Recipe as written makes ~3 cups of pancake mix or 3 batches of 5 pancakes.
*Nutrition information is a rough estimate for 1 pancake including the wet ingredient and was calculated with avocado oil and fortified almond milk.