If you’re one of those (few) people with mass amounts of self control, you were able to save your Vegan Mint Brownie Ice Cream until today! Phew, that was rough. How did you do it?
Here’s what I propose we do with that creamy, minty, dream boat ice cream: MAKE AN ICE CREAM CAKE!
I’ve loved ice cream cake since I was a wee little Minimalist Baker. I mean, cake AND ice cream? Come on.
But I haven’t had it since my dairy sensitivity really flared up last year and said, “Hey, lady, stop that. Dairy makes you feel like crap.”
Fine, body. Although you’re right, you’re still a giant party pooper.
This ice cream cake is made with our 1-Bowl Vegan Chocolate Cake! It’s the perfect chocolate cake for vegan newbies and skilled bakers alike because it requires just one bowl, no fancy ingredients, and comes together in about 1 hour. Plus, it’s mega delicious. Read the comments.
While your cake is baking and cooling, you can get on making your ice cream (if you haven’t already done so, champ).
Once your cake is cooled and your ice cream is softened, it’s time to build that cake.
You can do so in two ways (probably more). Basically you’re just trying to layer the cake and ice cream in as uniform fashion as possible. I went with a loaf pan for easy sculpting, but you could also use a cake stand and just frost the cake with the ice cream like “frosting.” If you do this, you’re fancy and I’m jealous of your skills.
The best part is, it doesn’t have to be perfect or even pretty because it tastes AMAZING.
You guys are going to LOVE this cake. It’s
Studded with fudgy brownie bites
& Perfect for sharing
Do you have a birthday? Yes, you do! (I know you do. You’re lying, RHONDA.)
May I suggest something? Make this cake for yo’ birthday! Or make this pie, I mean, come on. Either way, make this cake! Cheers, friends.
P.S. You know the drill. If you make this cake (or just inhale the ice cream on its own), let me know! Tag your photo #minimalistbaker on Instagram so I can see. It makes my day, seriously. (Why wouldn’t you want to make my day, Rhonda?)
Vegan Mint Chocolate Ice Cream Cake
- You can either bake your cake in two small round cake pans OR in a 9x13 and cut it in three even rectangles.
- Once your cake is cooled, soften your ice cream for 10-15 minutes at room temp, or briefly in the microwave.
- FOR A ROUND CAKE: Lay down your first layer of chocolate cake on a serving plate or cake stand and top with half of the ice cream. Smooth with a spoon, trying to keep the layer even and smooth. Top with second layer of chocolate cake and press down gently. Top with other half of ice cream and "frost" the cake with it. You can either frost it all the way around or just on the top. It doesn't have to be perfect. Cover and freeze for at least 1 hour. Before slicing leave out for 20-30 minutes to soften.
- FOR A RECTANGLE CAKE: Line a loaf pan with parchment paper and lay down your first layer of chocolate cake. Then top with half of your mint ice cream and smooth with a spoon. Repeat twice, ending with cake on the top layer (which will actually be the bottom once inverted).
- Cover and freeze for at least 1 hour. Before slicing leave out for 20-30 minutes to soften.
- I had some leftover raw brownie from the ice cream recipe, which I used to top the cake. This is optional.