Rarely does a dessert get me so giddy that I can’t stop blurting out “epic!” while taking photos. Well, somewhat rare. Desserts do get me all sorts of excited.
So you remember how I made coconut coffee ice cream a while back? Well I had just a few scoops leftover, but I knew I wanted to do something awesome with them. Then a recent Food Network show I’d seen a while back flashed across my mind and I thought “Dessert Nachos!” My plan was set. Now I just needed to gather my materials and execute – hard.
Important tip though: I tried TWO kinds of tortilla chips – one whole grain and one gluten free.
It turned out the gluten-free ones worked better! But if you really want to throw caution to the wind, white tortillas would be best because they’re so fluffy and buttery. But I did like how the gluten-free tortillas got crispy and shiny and became the perfect vehicle for scooping up coffee coconut ice cream. Oooooh mama.
These nachos are so decadent and delicious. Reminds me of sitting down at a Mexican restaurant and devouring fried ice cream. Crispy, cinnamon sugar-coated tortilla chips make a bed for hefty scoops of coffee ice cream and a stream of chocolate syrup.
Wait a minute or two until the ice cream gets all melty and then start digging in, using the chips to scoop up bites of ice cream and chocolate sauce. And don’t forget a strawberry (or cherry) on top – desserts need dressing up too, you know?
This would make the perfect dessert to share with your sweetheart or a group of friends. Just add more chips and ice cream to compensate for more mouths.
- Turn your oven to low broil and position a rack in the top 1/3 of your oven.
- Cut tortillas in triangles, place on two lightly greased baking sheets and lightly coat with canola oil (or other oil).
- Add cinnamon sugar and toss again to coat, adding more cinnamon sugar as needed.
- Arrange tortillas in a single layer on baking sheet and broil for 1-3 minutes on each side, being careful not to burn as they turn from crisp to burnt quickly. They should take about 2 minutes each side.
- Remove from oven and arrange on a large plate. Top with coffee ice cream, drizzle with chocolate sauce and top with strawberry or cherry. Serve immediately.