God’s gift to those who cannot have nuts (moment of silence for this delicious treat the incredible hand is modeling).
Although I can have nuts, I have a tendency to overdo it on almond butter (raise hands if you go through 1 jar a week).
Recently, I’ve been enjoying cashew butter and sunflower butter. However, I’ve noticed that many of the sunflower butter brands include added sugar and it ends up being too sweet for my taste. So I wanted to make my own version that I felt better about enjoying every day.
This 6-ingredient, 20-minute sunflower butter gets a serious nutritional boost from hemp seeds, flax seeds, pumpkin seeds and chia seeds! They not only add essential amino acids, protein, fiber, healthy fats, and more, but also a nutty crunch to this creamy spread.
Speaking of spread, what do you spread this butter on? I’m so glad you asked
Coconut Yogurt Waffles
Vegan Whole-Grain Pancakes
Vegan French Toast
Vegan Pumpkin Bread
Peanut Butter & Jelly Muffins (in place of PB)
Overnight Oats (in place of PB)
You get the idea. If you try this recipe, let us know what you think! Leave a comment, rate it, and don’t forget to tag the recipe #minimalistbaker on Instagram. Cheers, friends!
Super Seedy Sunflower Butter
- 3 cups raw sunflower seeds (if roasted, skip the roasting step!)
- 1/4 tsp sea salt (more or less to taste)
- 1 Tbsp chia seeds
- 1 Tbsp flaxseed meal
- 1 Tbsp shelled hemp seeds
- 1 Tbsp roasted unsalted pumpkin seeds
- 1-2 tsp coconut sugar or stevia to sweeten (optional)
- If your sunflower seeds are roasted (select unsalted if possible), skip this step. Otherwise, preheat oven to 350 degrees F (176 C) and spread sunflower seeds on a baking sheet.
- Roast for 10-15 minutes, stirring/turning the pan occasionally, until fragrant and light golden brown.
- Add salt, chia seeds, flax seed, hemp seed, and pumpkin seeds and mix/pulse to combine. Taste and adjust flavor as needed, adding more salt, or a bit of sweetener of choice if desired (avoid using liquid sweeteners, as they can cause the butter to seize up and lose its form).
- This spread is perfect for toast, baked goods, waffles, pancakes and more! Store at room temperature for 1-2 weeks, or in the refrigerator up to 1 month!