I made this smoothie because, well, sometimes you need to break out of the mundane and turn your breakfast into something fun like a stoplight. Or a cookie. Or a muff-cake. See? Who said breakfast should ever be mundane…
The inspiration for this smoothie is none other than my favorite fruit at the moment: MANGO. The base is frozen mango – I bought mine fresh, chopped them up and froze them – then with each layer you introduce a new flavor. In this case it’s strawberry and spinach. But overall, the mango is the dominant flavor. Hooray!
Also, hooray for super cute straws I found at Target (while not shopping for straws – whoops)! Hooray!
As to how you get that layered effect, simply blend your mango base and pour half in the glass; then add strawberries, blend and pour it on top, and lastly add a handful of spinach, blend and pour it on top. BOOM. Yellow, red, green! Stoplight smoothie for the win.
Breakfast? Yes. Lunch? Yes. Snack? Totally. Go wild friends. Go wild with breakfast again. I give you permission.
Stoplight Mango Green Smoothie
- 1 1/4 cups frozen mango pieces
- 1 cup frozen strawberries
- 1 cup fresh spinach
- 1 cup water / almond milk (I used half of each)
- Frozen banana, honey, stevia, or agave (optional sweeteners)
- Place mango into a blender with milk or water and blend until smooth, adding more mango to thicken and more water or milk to thin.
- Pour 2/3 of the smoothie into a serving container and then add strawberries to the blender. Blend until smooth, adding a bit more water or almond milk if needed. Taste to see if it needs to be sweetened. I added 1/2 a small frozen banana at this point.
- Pour 3/4 of the smoothie into the serving glass on top of the mango layer.
- Lastly, add spinach to the blender and blend until smooth. Pour into the serving glass, making three distinct layers.
- Sip and enjoy, or freeze for later.