Salted chocolate banana nut muffins — need we say more!? These super fluffy, moist, vegan and gluten-free dreams take your classic banana nut muffin up a notch with flaky sea salt and melty chocolate chips.
Even better? They’re seriously simple to make thanks to our chocolate cake mix. Just 1 bowl, 7 ingredients, and 30 minutes stand in your way. Let’s go!
Inspired by our fan-favorite 1-Bowl Fudgy Banana Chocolate Chip Muffins, this easier version starts with mashed banana to create a moist, egg-free muffin! Water, avocado oil, and vanilla are the only other wet ingredients. Told you they’re easy!
And for the dry ingredients? Just THREE: 1) our vegan + gluten-free Chocolate Cake + Cupcake Mix, 2) chopped walnuts (because aren’t nutty muffins the BEST?!), and 3) chocolate chips (a must for any worthy chocolate muffin).
Stir it all together, add to a muffin tin, and sprinkle with extra walnuts and chocolate chips (optional, but come on…life’s too short to miss out on opportunities for more chocolate, right?).
When the muffins come out of the oven, grab your flaky salt and sprinkle while they’re still warm to help it stick a little. Then let the muffins cool before enjoying for best texture. Or if you can’t resist (we don’t blame you), just know they’ll be a bit more fudgy!
We think you’ll LOVE these muffins! They’re:
& Entirely delicious!
Grab a glass of dairy-free milk and snack time (or dessert) is on!
More Chocolate Cake Mix Recipes
- Fluffy Chocolate Peanut Butter Cupcakes (Vegan + GF)
- Gluten-Free German Chocolate Cake (Vegan)
- Gluten-Free Chocolate Mug Cake (3 Ingredients!)
- The BEST Chocolate Cake Mix Cookies
If you try this recipe, let us know! Leave a comment, rate it, and don’t forget to tag a photo @minimalistbaker on Instagram. Cheers, friends!
Salted Chocolate Banana Nut Muffins (Vegan + GF)
- 1 small-medium ripe banana (1 banana yields ~150 g mashed)
- 3/4 cup water
- 1/4 cup avocado oil (or other neutral oil)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 (15.5 oz.) bag Minimalist Baker Chocolate Cake + Cupcake Mix*
- 2/3 cup chopped walnuts
- 2/3 cup dairy-free dark chocolate chips
- 1/4 cup chopped walnuts (optional)
- 1/4 cup dairy-free dark chocolate chips (optional)
- Sprinkle of flaky sea salt
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F (176 C) and line a standard-size muffin tin with 12 muffin liners (as recipe is written // adjust if altering default number of servings). Set aside.
- In a medium mixing bowl, mash the banana with a fork — you want it pretty smooth. Add the water, avocado oil, and vanilla extract. Whisk until fully combined. Add cake mix and whisk well. Then fold in the chopped walnuts and dairy-free chocolate chips.
- Divide batter evenly between the muffin tins and (optionally) top with extra chopped walnuts and chocolate chips.
- Bake on the center rack for 25-28 minutes, or until a toothpick is removed with only a few crumbs left behind. Remove the muffins from the oven and top with flaky sea salt. Let the muffins fully cool before enjoying!
- Store leftovers lightly covered for up to 2-3 days at room temperature, 5 days in the refrigerator, or 1 month in the freezer.
*Inspired by our 1-Bowl Fudgy Banana Chocolate Chip Muffins (Vegan/GF).
*Nutrition information is a rough estimate calculated without optional ingredients.
Leave a Comment & Rating!