We recently realized that our favorite pasta salad had only been featured in a video and not as a recipe on the blog. That obviously needed to change. The people need this recipe.
Not only is it delicious, it’s also gluten-free and vegan and comes together in just 30 minutes with 10 ingredients!
It starts with roasting broccoli with olive oil, salt, and pepper until browned and tender.
Then comes cooking the pasta. We like to use Trader Joe’s Gluten-Free Brown Rice Quinoa Fusili as we’ve found it has the best taste and texture without compromising quality of ingredients.
The pesto is made in a food processor by mixing basil, garlic, hemp seeds, lemon juice, nutritional yeast, and sea salt, then drizzling in olive oil to achieve a creamy paste. Excuse us while we jump in for a swim.
Finally, it’s time to assemble! Add your roasted broccoli, cooked pasta, and fresh pesto to a bowl along with sun-dried tomatoes and macadamia nut cheese (optional). Major swoon.
The result is a delicious pasta salad perfect for make-ahead lunches, potlucks, picnics, or when you’re craving something nutrient-packed and comforting.
We hope you LOVE this pasta salad. It’s:
Quick & easy
& Incredibly delicious
More Pasta Salad Recipes:
If you try this recipe, let us know! Leave a comment, rate it, and don’t forget to tag a photo #minimalistbaker on Instagram. Cheers, friends!
Roasted Broccoli Pasta Salad with Hemp Pesto (V/GF)
- 2 small heads organic broccoli, chopped (~7 cups chopped)
- 1-2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1/4 tsp each sea salt and black pepper
- 2 tsp salt (for salting water)
- 1 ½ cups (dry) gluten-free pasta (we like Trader Joe’s brown rice quinoa fusilli)
- 2 (heaping) cups packed basil
- 4 cloves garlic, skins removed (4 cloves yield ~2 Tbsp)
- 1/4 cup hemp seeds (or pine nuts)
- 2 Tbsp lemon juice
- 3-4 Tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1/4 tsp sea salt (plus more to taste)
- 3-4 Tbsp olive oil (if avoiding oil, sub water)
- 2/3 cup sun-dried tomatoes (if in oil, pat dry // we like Trader Joe’s brand)
- 1/2 cup macadamia nut cheese (optional)
- 1 sprinkle red pepper flake (optional)
- Heat oven to 400 degrees F (204 C). Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Add broccoli and toss with oil, salt, and pepper. Once oven is preheated, add broccoli and cook for 15 minutes or until lightly golden browned.
- In the meantime, bring a small pot of water to a boil and add salt (to season the water and the pasta). Once boiling, add the pasta, stir, and cook according to package instructions or until al dente. Drain and set aside.
- In the meantime, prepare pesto. Add basil, garlic, hemp seeds, lemon juice, nutritional yeast, and sea salt to a food processor and mix to combine. Then stream in olive oil a little at a time until a creamy paste is achieved. Scrape down sides as needed. Taste and adjust flavor as needed, adding more salt to taste, nutritional yeast for cheesiness, hemp seeds or basil to thicken, garlic for kick, or lemon juice for acidity. Cover with lid and set aside.
- Once broccoli is roasted, cool slightly then add to a large serving / mixing bowl. Then add cooked drained pasta, sun-dried tomatoes, little spoonfuls of macadamia nut cheese (optional), and red pepper flake (optional). Top with pesto and toss gently to combine (being careful to not break the pasta).
- Enjoy immediately or refrigerate up to 3-4 days (not freezer friendly). Enjoy chilled or at room temperature.
Leave a Comment & Rating!