Just as much as it’s not summer without pool days, it’s not summer without a good pasta salad.
Usually the things are laden with heavy dairy products, but not this one! It’s completely dairy-free and loaded with the perfect combo of crispy veg. Pasta heaven in a bowl.
Plus, it comes with a VIDEO!
If you enjoyed this video, be sure to check out my first one for Vegan Chai Ice Cream. I’m getting really into the video/editing process and having a blast doing it. So stay tuned for more in the near future!
So, back to the salad.
It’s simple, requiring just 30 minutes start to finish and just over 10 ingredients (depending on what spices you go with). The result is a light, fresh pasta salad with a tofu-based dressing that no one would ever guess was dairy-free. And the veggies? Perfectly crisp and uber colorful. Classic macaroni salad made vegan – ’nuff said.
Where might you take this pasta salad? A barbecue, a summer shindig, a lake day, a picnic, in yo lunch, camping… You get the idea. Make this salad and take it with you everywhere this summer. Cheers!
Vegan Macaroni Salad
- 4 cups elbow macaroni shells (GF for gluten-free eaters)
- 1/2 medium red pepper (diced)
- 1 cup celery (diced)
- 1/4 cup red or green onion (diced)
- 1 cup silken firm tofu (make sure it’s silken or it won’t blend right)
- 2-3 Tbsp dried dill*
- 2-4 Tbsp agave nectar or cane sugar (or honey if not vegan)
- 1/4 tsp sea salt, black pepper & garlic powder
- 2 Tbsp vinegar (white wine is best)
- 2 Tbsp avocado or olive oil
- 1 Tbsp spicy mustard (for tang)
- Water (to thin)
- Cook noodles according to package instructions, drain, and set aside.
- Chop veggies and set aside.
- Prepare dressing by adding silken tofu, dill, salt, pepper, garlic powder, agave nectar (or sugar), vinegar, oil, and spicy mustard to a blender and blending until well combined. Scrape down sides as needed. If having trouble blending add water in Tablespoon amounts until it has enough liquid to churn properly.
- Taste and adjust seasonings as needed. I added more dill, mustard, salt and agave.
- Toss drained noodles and veggies with the dressing in a large serving bowl. Chill for at least 1-2 hours before serving. The flavors will meld and the salad will thicken up the longer it chills.
- Serves 8 (as original recipe is written). Store leftovers in the fridge for up to a few days.
* Inspiration from Pioneer Woman
* Nutrition information is a rough estimate.