The first time we tasted crispy shallots in a salad, we knew we’d hit the jackpot. These crunchy, salty bits of deliciousness have become one of our favorite ways to impress dinner guests (even the salad non-believers).
Crispy shallots first debuted in our Roasted Squash Salad recipe and made their second appearance in our recipe for Roasted Stuffed Butternut Squash.
And now they’re back in this simple 30-minute, 8-ingredient salad recipe. Let’s do this!
Sliced shallots are coated in brown rice flour, salt, and pepper, and then sautéed in a little oil until lightly browned and perfectly crispy.
They are paired with a slightly sweet, lemony dressing that comes together in just 5 minutes.
A sprinkle of cashew parmesan cheese adds a nice cheesy flavor and depth to this recipe.
Roasted garlic, crispy shallots, cashew-based parmesan cheese, and lemon vinaigrette complement each other and balance out the bite of the arugula. And for an extra special touch, add macadamia nut cheese (optional, but delicious!).
We hope you’ll love this salad as much as we do! It’s:
& Excellent for entertaining!
If you’re into salads, be sure to check out our Roasted Squash Salad With Crispy Shallot and Balsamic Reduction, Abundance Kale Salad With Savory Dressing, Roasted Vegetable Salad With Chimichurri, Curry Roasted Fennel Salad with Rosemary Tahini Dressing, and Curried Cauliflower, Grape, and Lentil Salad.
If you try this recipe, let us know! Leave a comment, rate it, and don’t forget to tag a photo #minimalistbaker on Instagram. Cheers, friends!
Lemony Arugula Salad with Crispy Shallot
- 6 cloves garlic (or sub half the amount fresh/raw, minced)
- Olive oil
- 2 medium shallots (thinly sliced)
- 3 Tbsp brown rice flour
- 1/8 tsp each sea salt and black pepper
- ~2 Tbsp olive oil or avocado oil (for cooking — if avoiding oil, omit and use a non-stick pan)
- 1/4 cup Macadamia Nut Cheese (or sub store-bought soft vegan cheese)
- 6 cups arugula (or other green of choice)
- 3 Tbsp Cashew Parmesan Cheese (optional)
- To roast the garlic, peel apart garlic cloves but leave the skin on. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 C). Add garlic cloves to a baking sheet. Drizzle garlic with a bit of olive oil. Bake for about 20 minutes or until the garlic is fragrant and slightly browned. Remove from oven and set aside.
- In the meantime, add sliced shallots to a small bowl with brown rice flour, salt, and pepper, and toss to coat. Heat a medium (preferably cast iron) skillet over medium heat. Once hot, add oil and floured shallots and sauté, stirring occasionally, until lightly golden brown and crispy — approximately 5 minutes. Set aside in pan.
- In the meantime, if not using store-bought soft vegan "cheese," make your own. Add macadamia nuts to a food processor or a high-speed blender along with lemon juice, nutritional yeast, garlic powder, sea salt, and lesser amount of water (1/4 cup or 60 ml as original recipe is written // adjust if altering batch size). Mix/blend, scraping down sides as needed. Then add more water 1 Tbsp (15 ml) at a time until a thick paste forms. I find I get the best texture results with a food processor, but in a pinch, a blender can work too. It just generally requires more scraping and more liquid.
- Next, prepare dressing by adding all ingredients to a mixing bowl (or small blender) and whisking (or blending) to combine. Taste and adjust flavor as needed, adding more maple syrup for sweetness, lemon for acidity, or salt or pepper to taste. Set aside.
- Assemble salad by adding greens to a serving bowl or platter and topping with roasted garlic cloves (skins removed), crispy shallots, macadamia nut cheese, and cashew parmesan cheese (optional).
- Add dressing to the salad and toss to coat, or serve on the side. Best when fresh. Store salad separate from dressing if keeping for later use. Will keep in the refrigerator up to 2-3 days. Store dressing in the refrigerator 3-4 days. The oil can harden when cold, so let dressing set out for a few minutes to warm and shake well to reincorporate before serving leftovers.
Leave a Comment & Rating!