Creamy, garlicky pasta — what’s not to love? This quick and easy pasta is the ultimate satisfying, nourishing meal with tomatoes, arugula, and fiber-rich beans. YUM.
Just 10 ingredients required for your new favorite weeknight-friendly pasta, friends. Let us show you how it’s done!
This garlicky pasta starts with (you guessed it) garlic! And there’s more in the sauce, friends. We aren’t playing around! Canned white beans combine with the garlic and some tomatoes for a savory, garlicky base.
While the beans soften in tomatoey goodness, it’s sauce time! The sauce starts with soaked cashews for a super creamy result, and for major flavor and “cheesiness” we add nutritional yeast, garlic, and lemon zest + juice. Add some water and blend ‘er up!
Next it’s time to add a generous portion of arugula to the saucy tomatoes and beans. Not a fan of arugula? Spinach would work well here, too!
“All together now!” Lastly, the cooked pasta goes into the pot with the wilted greens and saucy tomatoes. The sauce gets added as well, and while it might look a bit thin, don’t worry! A few minutes over low heat and the sauce will thicken to creamy perfection.
We hope you LOVE this lemon garlic pasta! It’s:
Comforting but fresh
& SO satisfying!
It’s perfect as a meal on its own but is also delicious with sides such as our Perfect Roasted Asparagus or Simple Green Salad with Lemon Vinaigrette. For more protein, pair with our Crispy Baked Tofu with Italian Herbs or Lemon Baked Salmon with Garlic Dill Sauce.
More Plant-Based Pasta Recipes
- Creamy Mushroom and Asparagus Pasta (GF)
- Vegan Pasta Al Limone
- Creamy Vegan Pink Pasta (30 Minutes!)
- Vegan Pasta Primavera with Roasted Veggies
If you try this recipe, let us know! Leave a comment, rate it, and don’t forget to tag a photo @minimalistbaker on Instagram. Cheers, friends!
Lemon & Garlic Pasta with White Beans (Vegan)
- 2/3 cup raw cashews
- 1 cup water
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 2 Tbsp nutritional yeast
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 tsp lemon zest
- 12 oz pasta of choice (we like Jovial gluten-free penne)
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 4 cloves garlic, pressed or minced
- 1 (15 oz.) can cannellini beans, rinsed and drained (or sub chickpeas, but they’ll be more firm)
- 2 cups cherry or grape tomatoes, halved
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 6 cups baby arugula
FOR SERVING optional
- Vegan parmesan cheese (or store-bought)
- Add cashews to a heat-proof bowl and cover with at least 2 inches of boiling water. Set aside to soak.
- PASTA: Bring a large pot of well-salted water to a boil. Once boiling, add pasta, stir, and set a timer for the lower end of your package’s al dente recommendation. Proceed with the recipe while your pasta cooks.
- Meanwhile, heat a large pot or Dutch oven over medium-low heat. Add olive oil and garlic and cook until fragrant and lightly sizzling — about 1 minute. Add the drained and rinsed beans, tomatoes, and salt and stir to combine. Then reduce to low heat, cover, and let simmer while you make your sauce.
- SAUCE: Drain the cashews and add them to a high-speed blender along with the other sauce ingredients (water, lemon juice, nutritional yeast, garlic, salt, and lemon zest). Blend on high until very smooth and creamy, scraping down the sides as needed. The sauce may seem thin but it will thicken once added to the pasta.
- PASTA: Test your pasta for doneness and drain. Then add the arugula to the tomatoes/beans and stir to combine. Once the arugula has wilted, add in the cooked pasta and the cashew sauce and mix well. Turn the heat to medium-low and continue stirring until everything is nicely coated and the sauce begins to thicken slightly.
- Serve warm garnished with vegan parmesan cheese, if desired. Leftovers keep for 3-4 days. Not freezer friendly.