Is it even summertime without a skewer?! We think not. These teriyaki tofu skewers are full of savory sweet goodness, and when grilled, they develop a subtly crusty exterior and perfectly smoky taste. It’s safe to say this recipe’s a winner, friends!
We love these skewers alongside a cold sesame noodle salad or stir-fry for a protein-packed, plant-based summer meal! Just 9 ingredients required for these super flavorful tofu skewers. Let us show you how it’s done!
How to Make Grilled Teriyaki Tofu Skewers
We start this tofu party off by marinating cubes of tofu in a teriyaki-inspired sauce made with tamari (or soy sauce), coconut sugar, garlic powder, rice vinegar, and toasted sesame oil. The result is super flavorful cubes of tofu.
Some of that flavorful marinade gets whisked in a saucepan with arrowroot starch and water to create a thick teriyaki glaze to brush on at the end. Can you tell we like flavorful tofu?
Next, we layer the marinated tofu onto skewers with red onion for bites of sweetness and to help hold the tofu in place.
Then, it’s grilling time! If you don’t have an outdoor grill or BBQ, you can use a cast iron grill pan on the stovetop.
Grill for a few minutes on each side, allowing the skewers to develop grill marks all around. Lastly, brush the grilled tofu with the teriyaki glaze, and enjoy!
We hope you LOVE these teriyaki tofu skewers! They’re:
Easy to make
& Perfect for grilling season!
They pair well with other Japanese-inspired dishes including our Creamy Sesame Noodle Salad (30 Minutes!), 30-Minute Portobello Mushroom Stir-Fry, or a simple salad with Carrot Ginger Dressing. You could also keep the meal simple by serving with rice and steamed broccoli or cauliflower.
More Plant-Based Grilling Recipes
- Grilled Romaine Caesar Salad with Herbed White Beans
- Jamaican Jerk Grilled Eggplant (30 Minutes!)
- Veggie Skewers with Chimichurri Sauce
If you try this recipe, let us know! Leave a comment, rate it, and don’t forget to tag a photo @minimalistbaker on Instagram. Cheers, friends!
Grilled Teriyaki Tofu Skewers
- 1/3 cup soy sauce or tamari (ensure gluten-free as needed)
- 1/4 cup coconut sugar (or sub brown sugar)
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1 ½ tsp rice vinegar
- 3/4 tsp toasted sesame oil
- 1/2 tsp arrowroot powder
- 1 (14-oz.) package extra-firm tofu, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1/2 medium red onion, sliced into 1-inch chunks
- Avocado oil (for greasing grill)
FOR SERVING optional
- Sesame seeds
- Thinly sliced green onion
- In a wide, shallow bowl or glass container, whisk together soy sauce or tamari, coconut sugar, garlic powder, rice vinegar, and sesame oil. Remove about 1/3 of the marinade (~2 ½ Tbsp if making the default number of servings) and reserve for making glaze.
- Add the cubed tofu to the dish with the marinade, stir (or cover with a lid and shake) to coat well, cover, and let sit at room temperature for 30 minutes to marinate.
- While the tofu is marinating, whisk together the arrowroot and a splash of water in a small saucepan, then add the reserved marinade. Bring to a simmer, whisking frequently until thickened to a glossy glaze — about 2-3 minutes. If it thickens too much, add a little water to thin. If it’s too thin, whisk more arrowroot with water, then add to the saucepan and cook to thicken.
- Once the tofu has finished marinating, lightly oil a grill pan or grill grate and preheat to medium-high. Thread cubed tofu and red onion onto skewers, alternating with 1 piece of red onion in between each tofu cube and ending with a piece of red onion. There should be ~8 tofu cubes per skewer.
- Next, grill! Make sure as many tofu cubes as possible are making contact with the pan, and turn every 3-4 minutes, until browned and beginning to char in spots — about 10-15 minutes.
- Leftover grilled tofu keeps stored in the refrigerator for 2-3 days.